Sunday, February 26, 2012

Climb to Crystal Lake Cafe and East Fork

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/4550027

Steve, Shannon, Galen and I started out just after 7 a.m. donning full arm/leg warmers, full gloves and a base layer since it was a bit chilly when we started.  It never really warmed up too much where the Garmin reported an average 58 degrees for the ride.  Even after getting back to the high school where we started, I eventually jumped in a sweater, so it was that kind of day.  Perfect for climbing, although hard to breath for me initially, but otherwise never got too cooked despite the climbs.

Now about this route...it is definitely a good one for training on the hills, BUT man the climbing was pretty unrelenting for 25+ miles straight.  We started out at Glendora High School and basically went toward the 39 and started to climb up it vs. usually going down.  And rather than going right on East Fork, the route went straight up to the Crystal Lake Cafe, which is off the 2.  Then, we descended the way we came up (which was a long ass descent), and went up East Fork toward the GMR/GRR intersection.  We finished with a GMR descent all the way back down to the high school.

On the way out, we were together up until we started climbing up the 39.  I was not feeling it early on having trouble inhaling the cold air, so I popped off the back pretty early on content to just doing my own pace.  Galen came back for me a couple times wanting to tow me back to the others, but I asked him to just go on and I'll make my way on my own.  What a nice guy though for offering.

I eventually met up with the 3 guys waiting at the East Fork intersection taking a little break.  I didn't want to wait to long, so I went ahead and got a little head start just to keep moving.  Steve and Galen were soon with me, and both subsequently passed me.  I was able to keep Steve in sight but Galen continued to increase his lead on both of us.  Steve had a great pace just ahead of me, but slowed enough on one of the climbs where I was able to get by.  He stayed with me for a while, but then I started to pull away.

At one point, I thought he was coming back on me, but it turned out to be Shannon who had started later.  As Shannon was chasing Galen down, it wasn't long before he started to gap me and make his way ahead eventually not to be seen again until the Cafe with Galen.  I kept thinking Steve would be coming up on me as I was trying to manage my HR to not go over 180 as much as possible, but he was enjoying the scenery on his way up.  It was a beautiful ride up for sure.  Shannon had made his way up to Galen and did get to show him why he's considered a monster on the hills.

After we regrouped at the Cafe, the all began the descent together.  Steve started out first followed by Galen and then Shannon and me (with my GoPro on).   The descent was definitely fun since it seemed like we were descending forever.  Galen had gotten away on the 2, but waited and descended ahead of us on the two.  He's fast on the descent and broke off from Shannon and I after a while.  Shannon and I had gotten by Verm and were reeling in one gal who was moving down pretty quick where we could see her on some of the bends, and eventually we were able to get by her but it took some time.


We regrouped at the East fork intersection eventually and really, I would have been just as happy to head back down the 39 from there.  I led us originally, but once the other guys started to pass, I again was just not for keeping their pace.  It turns out, they had a great pace leading up to the climb with Verm even scoring a KOM to just before the climb.

I was so far off the back I just couldn't see the guys much anymore.  I could see Verm well ahead of me at one point, but could never really make any ground...mostly because I was granny gearing it since I was just beat.  Shannon and Galen mixed it up a bit, but Galen (I hear) got to see what a monster Shannon was again.  Again, I didn't see any of it since I was waaay off the back.

By the time I got to the top of GMR, the 3 guys were sitting taking a break.  I didn't want to take a break and told them I'm going to get going since I just want to start the descent and get back to the truck.  Shannon was riding with me initially, but opted to take a bio break, so I just went on.  I also GoPro'd the GMR downhill so I was having fun just taking the turns and trying to get some good footage.  I didn't see anyone behind me for the longest time, but then just before the last few turns near the bottom, Galen had caught up to me and passed.  I was able to get some footage of him, but with people standing in the middle of the road and a car that decided to stop and basically park at the corner of the last turn messed up our momentum.  Galen had been working hard and started cramping but stayed with me still as I pulled us to finish to the stop sign at the bottom.



Overall, it was rough ride for me but it was awesome to see the other guys just killing it.  Very humbling for sure.  It's awesome to ride with guys with such good work ethics.  I feel bad they had to wait for me so much though.  On a positive note, I did keep my HR under 180.  Yes!

Thanks for coming out, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment