Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lunch Ride - Triple Bypass Route (Windy!)

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/4210268

Attendees:  Galen, Adrian, Hiroshi, Vin, Mitchell, Jaffe and me.  Ken, Gary's friend came out, too, but I didn't see him once we got on the bike trail.

I just finished looking up the word "humbling" and honestly, I was expecting to see Galen's face as part of the definition.  I probably should also look up wind-resistant, monsterous, and in some ways, MEAN.  HA HA

Going out today, I knew it was going to be ridiculous out there given the wind conditions.  While the first pass out would be good, the 2 passes back through Back Bay were going to be painful.  I guess Galen didn't get the memo and decided to hit Back Bay a 3rd time...something I just wasn't going to sign up for to try to go with him.    I should probably look up beast as well.

On the way out, Adrian led the group out to Back Bay while I sat comfortably in the back.  The pace was moderate considering that we did have a tail wind once on the trail, so I figured I'd take advantage and actually warm up.   Well, the moment we hit back bay, Galen started to work his way up front and both he and Adrian started to gap the group pretty good.  This is where sitting in the back is no fun.  Before they could get away too much (although they may have slowed a bit at one point), I started to sprint towards them to latch on.  Galen had just taken a pull by the time I caught up and was rolling around, and since I caught my breath, let him in.  I'm not sure if the other guys latched on behind me, but I did look back at one point and they were coming up behind me...fast.

I did rotate in up front with Adrian and Galen and we were moving at a pretty good clip.  Thinking today would be opportune to shoot for the gate-to-gate KOM, I took off after Galen took another one of his monster pulls.  It worked.  Cheap?  Maybe but that's racing.

I stayed up front all the way around to PCH, but when I looked back saw that only Galen was with me before we hit Bayside.  Great.  While trying to work with Galen, although he obviously didn't need any help, it just got too much.  When the guy would hoot and holler during the ride while I hung onto dear life, I knew it was just a bad situation.  Further, he waited for me here and there where I wasn't sure if it was to be helpful or just  to continue crushing me.  Even on Jamboree, he climbed away from me easily where I seriously just wanted to turn to Bison after the 2nd BB pass.   Seriously.

I did man up and do the 3rd pass as planned, but 90% of the time was just where I tried to hang on.  When I did get up front at one point, I think Galen said "oh you don't have to...I don't mind pulling."  I went ahead anyway trying to salvage the little ego I had left (HA HA), and then said "well, if you want to pull, go ahead."  He did.

On the last pass up Jamboree, Galen broke away from me again but rather than turning on Bison, the guy decided to do it one more time.  I think that's where the "MEAN" part comes in.  I did try to call him to let him know that we were suppose to turn left on Bison, but I think all I heard was him laughing dastardly...that or my mind was playing tricks on me by that point.

Good training ride today, gents.  It's the first ride I've ever done where I feel the need to go to Victoria's Secret after and buy myself some undergarments.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment