Thursday, February 2, 2012

Lunch Ride - Turtle Ring Route (Attack!)

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/3826842

Nice day out today with a littl wind here and there, but overall pretty decent.  Pretty decent sized group today and nice to see Paul B. out there joining us again (especially nice to run into him on Turtle Rock for some much needed wind protection).

The ride started out with us waiting for Vince, but he ended up rolling ahead of us and immediately creating a gap with Gary just between us.  It took some ways up the hill to get Gary back in the line and to Anteater where we were finally able to catch up to Vince.  Some time afterwards, either Vin and/or Hiroshi launched an attack, which I've come to expect and even slightly appreciate given that it's almost race season.  I may appreciate an occasion pull too, but that may be asking for much.

We made our way to Turtle Rock and I eventually took the front and tried to hold a decent pace off the seat where everyone seemed to have been able to stay with.  Before the last rise just prior to the stop sign, Hiroshi launched another attack and Vince followed where it took a little doing but I managed to get up front to the stop sign with Mitchell serving my wingman.

While recovering, Vince launched another attack just after the stop sign and all I could do was watch .  I picked it up after and gave chase with Mitchell in tow thinking I'd be able to close by the top of Shady, but that didn't happen.  I made up some ground, but Vince increased it again on the bike trail through the turns.  Mitchell had fallen off just before the final climb, so it became even more of a solo attempt to try to get back up to Vince.

On Ridgeline, Vince had started up on the sidewalk ahead of me, so I opted to the same.  Turning my head to the left though, I saw 3-4 other guys but I was unable to make out who due to delirium.  I was just off Vince's pace going up, so I was so glad to run into Paul B. as I was heading down on Turtle Rock.  He ended up taking the front after I passed for a much needed rest and got us up to the Culver light where Vince was waiting to turn left.

On Bonita Canyon, more attacks ensued and I, like the submissive servant, only opted to close gaps and lead only to prepare others for more attacks. Vin had some good ones, but the breakaways were not persistent like sir Vince's.

I think by the time we got to Bison, more attacks were planned by Hiroshi and Vin so Vince took off where I followed just after him to, for the most part, just stop the madness.  HA HA.

I felt that one today, boys, so another good training day for sure.  Hiroshi and Vin had some good averages too, so props for your efforts today.  Vince and I were talking after though, and I may have to revert to different tactics during lunch just to be able to play the crits out a little better.  The figurative wheels are spinnin'.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment