Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lunch Ride - Anteater Spyglass San Joaquin NPC Pelican PCH CDM BB Jamboree

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/8137214


What a good turnout for today's ride:  Galen, Gary, Vince, Todd, Vin, Jeremy, Mitchell, Hiroshi, Jaffe, Marc and Eric.

When we were all ready to go, I looked back to see if anyone would start off, but everyone seemed to be waiting for me.  Sigh.  Fortunately, S-Gary came around immediately after and led us out with me sitting in #2 all the way to Bonita Canyon maintaining a 20 mph average.  I would drop from his wheel on occasion wondering if someone else would jump ahead, but no one seemed too interested in pushing the pace early on.

I swung around on Bonita Canyon as did Galen, but S-Gary was still staying in the mix taking rotations.  What a guy.

We were all together when we got to San Miguel and eventually started onto Spyglass.  I found a pace that was decent going up but as I made my way to Galen, he indicated he wasn't going to hammer the hill (there goes the lure).  I didn't bite, but Todd came by and the two of them broke away from me as we separated from everyone else.

I was able to roll up on Todd and Galen at the red light to San Joaquin, but the light turned green perfectly as Vince, Mitchell and Vin approached where they had momentum.  Galen and Todd gave chase and the 4 of them rode up the hill together where I had fallen back and rode on my own after passing Vin.  I was thinking it would be cool to be in the rabbit group and take Ridgeline, but the 4 guys got the lights and were able to stay ahead on NPC.

Vin and Jeremy had caught me after I got on Ridgeline and caught their breath while I pulled for a little on NPC trying to close in on the others.  They both relieved me and helped to close the gap on Todd and Mitchell by the time we were on Pelican.

Mitchell led us down the hill before the first rise, but I jumped to the front just before and had a little gap on the others who were trailing close by.  By the time I rounded to NPC and PCH, they were all on again as we made our way toward CDM.

There was some police activity with a tow truck on PCH, so we had to slow for that but we could see Galen, Vince and Gary just ahead of us.  After we got past the police activity, Vin and Mitchell helped me close in on the others who we caught by the light to go on Poppy.

CDM was a little busy, so everyone stayed together through Avocado and back on PCH.  S-Gary was leading a charge on PCH and he and Galen eventually started to gap.  I came around from near the back and with Vince's help closed in on Galen and Gary.

On Jamboree, Vince had momentum and took off on Back Bay drive.  I sat behind the closer (Galen) and let him reel Vince back in but I swung around for the first pull just before the gate.  It felt like we had a tail wind at that point, so I stayed up front for a little bit keeping the pace up as we made our way toward San Joaquin.

Once everyone passed, I had a little trouble latching on but was just able to get on Jeremy's rear wheel.  Vince, Galen, and Todd were keeping the pace up, so it wasn't easy.  Eventually, Galen had been up front with Mitchell and Jeremy still in front of me where I was patiently waiting my turn.  When Galen started to gap, I knew it was time to go, so I came around and first latched onto Galen's wheel, then took a pull along with Vince.

When we got to the end of Back Bay, Galen was saying something but I couldn't hear him.  He was probably telling my biyaach ass to go, and I eventually did.  My calves were on the brink of blowing up earlier, but I went ahead and pushed up to the top.

Once we were up top, Vince was the first to cross the street but I was able to just after.  I'm not sure how everyone else fared, but I know Galen wasn't too far behind.

Vince got on Jamboree first and started to make his way up.  I was finding my stride once I got on when it wasn't long before Galen got beside me and we rode abreast for a bit as we made our way toward Vince.  Galen eventually got ahead but I decided to ride his rear wheel to see how long I could stay with Vince right behind me.

Galen was working hard throughout the ride, and eventually slowed up where I got past with Vince in tow.  I'd look back and seeing Vince latched on, I knew it was just a matter of time before he'd pass...and pass he did near the top.  Vince is back!

When we got on Bison, I wasn't sure if Vince and Galen were wanting to sprint, but I was ready in case they did.  When I took off from behind them after the last light over the 73, neither reacted, so I checked up and enjoyed the rest of the way back.  Yes...we get to cool down!

Super riding out there today, gents!  Excellent efforts throughout.  Thanks!


1 comment:

  1. Got a significant beating today. Teaches me for not riding with the group for a couple of weeks and being lazy on the weekends.

    OUCH!!

    ReplyDelete