Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lunch Ride - Stacked Again!

Strava:   http://app.strava.com/rides/9114724

Attendees:  Shannon, Todd, Galen, Vince, Adrian, Mike Z., Jeremy, Vin, Mitchell, Eric, and Hiroshi

Highlights for today's ride:
  • We opted to do the original more hilly route, but I'm not sure a Portola OAB would have been any less painful considering the crew who made it out today.  
  • Todd and Galen trained this morning and earned the overachievers award for the day.
  • Nice to see Mike Z. out with the crew today and even leading us out for a bit.  
  • When Shannon took the lead on Anteater, the pace started to get nutty early on.
  • On Culver, there was a little gap formed by Galen and a few others, but we were able to close that up before we got on Campus.  
  • Going up Turtle Rock, there were some good pulls by others early on but I ended up behind Adrian who took one of his sprint pulls again.  Smooth is not in his vocabulary.  
  • The pace stayed pretty fast going up Turtle Rock with Shannon finishing out the segment causing some serious attrition.  
  • On Shady, the remaining crew stayed together all the way up and over the crest.  
  • On the bike trail on the 405, Galen relieved Vince and was leading the pack followed by Todd and I when Adrian passed with some bad intentions.  Having been in the draft 95% of the time, he didn't realize how windy it was and blew the hell up way before the bridge.  HA HA
  • I had given chase to Adrian for the sprint only to pass him once detonated and stayed up in the front for a while leading the group up to University.  I was pretty blown up after giving chase, so ummm...thanks guys?  HA HA   Vince mentioned later how it's funny that Adrian having done the same thing so many times hasn't learned from it yet (or something to that effect)...classic.
  • A bunch of us got to regroup at the base of Ridgeline and I'm not sure who led us off originally, but I managed my pace just until the base of the steeper incline midway up.  I took the lead there and then led the others to the 2nd rise but got passed by Shannon, Todd and Galen where I just didn't have enough to latch on.  
  • I hadn't fallen too far behind them, and Mitchell was with me all the way up to Turtle Rock.  Thankfully, Mitchell came around and worked to close the gap on the guys ahead of us.  
  • As we rounded Sunnyhill to go up Shady toward Bonita Canyon, I swung around Mitchell and was sooooo close to being able to latch on to the guys ahead but near the top, they accelerated just a little bit more and that's all she wrote.
  • There was another regroup at the light to turn onto Bonita Canyon, so there was a good sized group again that headed up toward Summit.  
  • Todd, Shannon and Galen amped it up early on, so I fell off pretty early but with Mitchell in tow.  
  • By the time we rounded the top and made our way down, just about everyone had caught up by the left to go back onto Bonita Canyon.  
  • I tried patiently to wait my turn in the rotation, but when Mitchell didn't get relieved soon enough, I took the front to pull us up the hill.  Shannon had passed near the top, and when I looked back, no one jumped on so here I was trying to get on Shannon's wheel.  
  • By the time we got to McArthur, the light was green and I was so blown up that I was just pushing as hard as I could just to make it across with the others.  However, after crossing, I needed some serious oxygen. 
  • Everyone else had gone ahead at this point to tackle the Condo, but I stayed back for a surge up the hill.  It wasn't enough for Strava or to catch a few of the guys ahead of me, but it was tiring nonetheless.
  • I contemplated a sprint finish but just couldn't get close enough to attack where Adrian took off and finished strong.
Good ride today, gents.   Thanks for the workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment