Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lunch Ride - BB PCH CDM NPC Pelican Vista Bonita Cyn Condo

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/8745351


- Attendees:  Todd, Vince, Mitchell and Jeremy

- Weather:  Windy making for a tough Back Bay run

- Good rotations through Back Bay despite the wind with everyone taking turns to keep the pace up and no one dropping.  Jeremy almost did, but jumped right back on.  Nice.

- More rotations occurred on PCH as we made our way to Avocado.  Mitchell was behind Todd, who was up front, at one point and started to push forward but had 2nd thoughts where I saw him look to see if he can get back.  I had blocked him off, however, so he pushed on like a trooper.

- After going through CDM through the Ocean route, we got back on PCH and Todd led us all the way to NPC.  Good idea as we need to calm this guy down for the hills.  Todd was pushing the pace pretty good anyway, so....

- Going up NPC, Todd started us up but I kept the cadence high and got ahead of everyone to Pelican.

- We regrouped and started up Pelican together with Mitchell and Todd leading the group.  Vince and I made our way up past them at some point but we all were pretty much together at the base of the last climb.

- I had momentum so I started the climb at a pretty good pace and started to gap the others.  When I did, Vince yelled "gap!" reminiscent of our Stagecoach outing.  Of course, I slowed my pace to be courteous, but it wasn't long before Todd was making his way past me.  Aaaargh.  I started to try and get back up to his pace, which did have us both breaking away from the others, but he was just outside of my reach to be able to latch on.

- Todd got the green light to NPC, but I got caught where everyone else caught up to me at that point.

- I started us out on NPC as we made our way to Vista, but Jeremy came by and broke away for a bit where I gave chase but didn't want to expend too much knowing Vista still needed to be done.  Jeremy did start us off on Vista, but I got by early on with Mitchell latched on.

- Mitchell stayed with me through the whole first climb and as it flattened out a little, but on the last rise before Ridge Park, I broke off...as planned (wink wink) and met Todd who was waiting for us up top.

- After regrouping, we headed down Ridge Park and the winds had a few of us, including myself, moving all around during our fast descent.  Scary.

- When we descended down NPC, I think we had the wind behind us so I jumped to the front after Todd started us off and led us down.  Vince came around at a fast clip subsequently where I jumped on, and we ended up gapping the others.  We exchanged turns, but in the end, Vince ended up gapping me and everyone behind crept up on us where we all regrouped at Bonita Canyon.

- Rotations continued on Bonita Canyon, but once we crossed McArthur onto Ford, Todd, Jeremy and Vince started to pull away while I tried to recover in preparation for the condo.  Mitchell stayed with me.  Vince looked like he kicked the pace up at the crest, so they had a pretty sizeable gap once they got on Jamboree.

- When I got on Jamboree, I'm not sure if I was in the ideal gear, but I did start to close on the 3 guys ahead of me.  However, I just couldn't close enough as they all kicked it up near the top where I was just in chase mode behind them all the way to Bison.  I almost caught Jeremy but they all made it to Bison ahead of me with Vince and Todd slowing for a car for the right turn.  For a segment perspective, my time was 6 seconds less than theirs, but from a KOM perspective, they all did what was needed to finish ahead of me.

- I'm always game to blow it out on Bison, and Todd and Jeremy seemed game.  Jeremy started to pull away from Todd, but I managed to reel him in and pass before we got to California.

Great workout again today, gents.  I'm now rethinking about riding down to San Diego tomorrow morning as a result.  Thanks?  HA HA.  



No comments:

Post a Comment