Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Morning Ride - Shady 133 NPC Loop with Galen

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/9167399

Aside from a good kick square to the nuts, nothing will wake you up faster than riding this loop with Galen.  We couldn't have asked for better weather either:  slight overcast, mild wind, and slightly cool temps.

After Galen resolved a tire installation issue in the parking lot, we were off.  It was nice to actually start the ride at a warm-up pace this time as both he and I were doing self-assessments of how our legs will be this morning. By the time we crossed Bonita Canyon heading toward Shady, we picked up the pace in typical BAM fashion.

When we got to Shady, we kept the pace up but nothing too ridiculous as I knew it would be fun to save up for the 133 run.   Galen and I were taking turns up front relieving each other all the way to the 133.  When we got on there, I was up front originally but Galen took the lead and for the most part led us almost to the top.  It's cool how he looks back to check on me to make sure I haven't dropped.  He does this often and rightfully so.

We both were keeping the pace up as descended on the other side, but it's tough to pull after trying to hang on for so long at the pace Galen likes to descend.  I did what I could.

When we got to Cliff road, I didn't realize it was a sprint zone but Galen took off up the hill like a bat out of hell.  I gave chase and was up beside him just as we reached the 2nd stop sign subsequently taking the next pull.  Yikes.

We rotated more on PCH but Galen led the last charge right before NPC where I was thinking...maybe we should slow down a little before the hill.  HA HA.  Not Galen though...he rounded the corner and took off up the hill where I thought, oh man I guess I'll be riding alone.  However, I had found a good stride and made my way up to him off the seat, but had to sit down after and spin up where Galen got on my rear wheel as I did.  We were just behind this one guy who was climbing up ahead of us off the seat while wearing a back pack, and it seemed as we tried to reel him in he kept trying to keep us off.   It took after the 2nd Pelican and Galen to taking the front to reel the guy in just before the crest where we both gave the guy props.

We got a break in a light at the top but we started charging down the other side only to have a truck block the bike trail as he made a u-turn mid-way down the hill.  Once we got by him, we were racing down the hill.  I thought I was moving at a pretty good clip, but then Galen passed me spinning like a mad man where I was able to latch on for a bit.  Once we got past the 73, I took the front and took advantage of my standard crank where Galen just didn't have enough gears to pass me again.

On Bonita Canyon, we still kept the pace up all the way to McArthur where at first we contemplated doing the Condo, but decided we can skip based on my time constraints.

When we got on Bison, we were talking for a bit but I let Galen know we should sprint out the rest of the ride once we got over the 73 (unlike Adrian who likes to sneak by when you least expect it - I need my mirror back).  I think he may have missed a gear so I took advantage and broke away hitting an 809 watt average for 10 seconds.  I still don't know what this means, but it sounds cool.

Thanks for coming out, Galen!

No comments:

Post a Comment