Wednesday, August 14, 2013

BRCM Lunch - NPC Loop with Todd

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/74718522

Todd came out and joined me today after I missed yesterday's lunch ride, and I was kinda glad to hear he had already ridden in the morning.  This may actually give me a chance to keep up, especially going up NPC, which was part of today's route.  He did say in the locker room that I'd be towing him throughout the ride since he was tired, but we all know that BAM kicks in the moment we start pedaling and that was just a bunch of hogwash.  Sure enough, once we started, he took off.  HA HA

We waited for a bit hoping others may come out, but once we figured no one was coming, Todd led us out...and fast.  I was able to get behind him just as we were climbing up E. Peltason, and began rotating up front once on Anteater.  Despite Todd being "tired," he still kept pushing up to the front a lot and often.  What a beast!

When we got on NPC, I decided to check myself before I wrecked myself and stayed behind Todd for a majority of the climb.  This is no small feat, mind you, but I did push up at one point only be relieved by Todd as we got to the top.

We kept alternating after San Joaquin, and this continued on down Pelican.  We thought we had a pretty good run and expected to see good Strava results, but we must have both been delusional since we weren't even close.

Todd and I continued to trade and after I had a long pull on PCH, he pretty much towed us through the CDM neighborhood all the way to Avocado.  He definitely didn't seem tired then.

When we got on PCH, the alternating continued and it would be just at the right times too.  I would think we're going pretty fast only to have him give me a reality check and pass me showing we could be going faster.

Todd led us through the trailer park bike trail as I waited until we got on Back Bay to relieve him since it's not the safest place to go fast and/or pass.  Once on Back Bay, we started to pick up the pace with me starting us off.  I saw another rider ahead of us, and we were definitely making ground on him fast.  Todd passed me and closed it even faster where the both of us passed him at a pretty good clip.  I looked back and saw that the rider tried to respond and began chasing us down.  Once we got to San Joaquin, however, he must have popped or realized it was useless since Todd and I were working together.

More rotations occurred after with Todd taking the final pull and the both of us ascending to the top pretty much together.  As we were making our way on the sidewalk to the bike trail on Jamboree and University, we saw construction signs and decided to stop and go up Jamboree instead.  This is where it got a little interesting.

We started our way up from a dead stop, and I stayed behind Todd to let him set the pace hoping I could keep up.  Shortly after starting the climb, two guys zoom past us followed by about 4 others guys who we had to check up for until they passed too.  The 4 were calling out to us to make sure we knew they were there, so we didn't have a choice but wait.  Once they finished passing, the chase was on...Todd's killer instincts were riled.  We reeled in the 4 riders ahead of us despite them all seeming to have come directly from Jamboree since they definitely had momentum when they passed.  We would have loved to mix it up with the first two, but they kept going past Bison and we were already heading back.  Next time.  And to the four we did pass, remember the logo on the jerseys since we both wore BRCM today (Todd-white and me-black).  Recognize....

Good average for just the two of us and a great workout as to be expected when riding with a BAM'er.  Thanks, Todd!

No comments:

Post a Comment