Wednesday, August 7, 2013

BRCM Lunch - TT Training with Todd and Jeremy = FAST

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/72990897

The triple BB route seems to be the most ideal for TT training.  It's fairly flat, there's not too many stops and traffic (including pedestrian, cars, and other cyclists) doesn't seem to impede too much.  While training solo on this route is fun, it's even more fun when you get to train with others on TT bikes.  Can you say FAST?

Todd and Jeremy made it out with me today, with Jeremy on his new Focus TT bike, so I knew we definitely had the potential to break records together.  However, Todd wanted to get his solo TT training in, so who were we to refuse him of this training?  Rather than taking turns, we opted to let Todd lead us out and planned for a pass at some point in the ride to give Todd even more incentive to go faster...his chase instincts are ridiculous. 

Jeremy was caught a little off guard when we took off on California since Todd pegs it from the get go.  There ain't no warm-ups on this route.  He was still able to keep up despite and we made it all down to the bottom together.  

Once on the bike trail, we lined up behind Todd as he fought his way through the wind.  I could tell it was windy on the occasion I would ride just outside of Todd's draft, so there was no way I was going to break away on the way out...especially if I had any hope of making it stick.  Despite the winds, Todd still managed to get us out to PCH and Bayside with a 24.4 mph average at that point.  Yowza!

He continued to lead the both of us through the trailer park trail and finally back to Back Bay drive.  The last time we did this ride, I waited until our last pass through Back Bay to give Todd someone to chase, but today I thought I'd take off sooner just to see if we can get him to push faster sooner.  Just after we passed San Joaquin, I took off. 

Now at this point, I wasn't sure if Jeremy was up for it or not but to my welcomed surprise, it wasn't long before he relieved me and took the front as we worked together to extend the breakaway.  I took another turn to relieve him, and he did the final pull as he led us up to the hill leading to the top of Back Bay.  Nice work!

The fear in me kept me charging up the hill knowing that I didn't want to lose too much ground before I hit Jamboree.  I looked back at the top to see if Jeremy was coming with, but he indicated to go on and keep giving Todd someone to chase.  So I did....

Going up Jamboree, I'm always worried that this would be a good place for Todd to make up ground.  Thus, I worked the whole hill and just expected to catch my breath during the following descent.  The stars must have aligned here because I was able to time the lights such that I didn't really have to stop...just slow down.  This pretty much sealed the deal as far as being able to keep the breakaway since Todd and Jeremy were not able to make the same lights. 

I never looked back, mostly because it's not efficient to do so with my TT helmet on - haha, so I just kept my head down and pedaled always anticipating that I may get caught/passed.  I had a good run on the last pass back and continued on when I got up on the University bike trail.  Hell, even the light to cross University to go up California turned green upon my arrival, so I kept going. 

The lack of stopping definitely helped to allow me to get my best time for this route...that and hiding behind Todd early on and working with Jeremy on the 2nd pass.  I was actually at 24.7 mph average at the base of California, but dropped to 24.3 by time I got to Bison.  While not stopping was ideal, it also meant no time for rest either.  I was worked. 

Todd, never having drafted, matched my average moving speed, so that's hella impressive as well.  And considering Jeremy just started riding his TT bike and already doing a 23.9 mph, I'm thinking he'll only get faster and faster with more seat time.  Ultimately, I don't think it'll be long before we hit the 25s as an average speed, especially if we're willing to work together the whole time.  Todd indicated last time we would do it, but the guy likes to train in the wind.  He's now indicating again how we should try it next time, but I won't hold my breath.   He's a champ for a reason.

Thanks for the training, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment