Thursday, August 29, 2013

Lunch Ride - It Was a HOT One!

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/78527345#kudos

So there's hot and then there's Africa hot.  I can't believe that even during a coastal ride, the average temperature was 92 degrees with a max of 102.  I believe that Africa hot applies here.

It's no wonder that only a couple people came out (Todd and Vin) for today's lunch ride.  I was hoping to ride with more people given my last few outings have been solo, but people who opted to not ride, ride in the morning instead, or just eat a box of popsicles probably made the wiser choice for today.

Todd and I had talked about backing it down some before the ride given the immense heat we were feeling sitting in the shade (his Garmin was already indicating 90+).  This was probably a good idea given that Vin would likely have to ride alone otherwise.

Todd started us off and essentially, I was working with him to keep the pace up when I could.  Did I mention it was hot?  Vin was fine sitting in the back taking comfort in the draft provided to him.

When we got to Spyglass, Todd was planning to push it but the heat was sucking the energy right out of all of us.  This actually worked to our advantage since it kept us all together during the climb.  I could have sworn Vin popped off at one point, but he was back up with us as we crested at the top.

Going up San Joaquin, I think this was when the heat pretty much peaked, which meant our energy stores were zapped even more.  Todd had us going up at a pretty good pace despite, and we couldn't wait to get to the top and be done with the climbing.  Vin stayed on here as well, and I figure it was likely since he just didn't have anyone else to ride with where at all cost he would not drop.  Maybe he should think this way all the time moving forward....

When we got on Pelican, I started us off with Todd taking the next turn as we made our way down.  I passed on the following climb, but Todd rode up beside me as we made it to the crest.  Now I didn't think it was a race or anything, but I could have sworn Vin yelled out Todd won.

PCH was uneventful but Todd and I were still pushing the pace obviously throwing out the whole "backing it down" proposal.  When we got to Ocean, Vin decided he was going to pull away from us never looking back despite having been towed 100% of the time beforehand.  Todd and I didn't mind, however, as we were hoping to let him play rabbit and eventually catch him on PCH and possibly even Back Bay if he got through a light ahead of us.  However, we ended up rolling up on him just as we were making the right back onto PCH.

We got on PCH, and Todd and I resumed the rotations up front.  This continued onto Back Bay where it was actually nice to go through and work with someone through that section given I've been riding it mostly solo on my TT bike.  Todd took the last pull and I got up to the top first shamelessly ahead of them.

In return, I took the front originally on the climb up Jamboree, but Todd made his way past me midway up.  I took that opportunity to latch on and stay on his wheel, which was no easy feat given I was near death by the time we got to Bison.  Vin didn't manage to stay with us on this climb, but he was not far behind.

On Bison, we did hit a few lights including the one right before the 73 overpass, but I guess Vin wanted to test out his sprinting legs soon after we crossed that light.  Who was I to deny him of being challenged, so I took off after him.  He had a good start, but I could see I was reeling him in once I got going. Needless to say, he got passed.  It's always nice to contest a sprint against someone who drafted most of the ride.  Just sayin.

It was a good training session despite the heat, the Africa heat, so thanks to Todd and Vin for coming out. Did I mention it was hot?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment