Friday, August 23, 2013

Lunch Ride - Vince's BAM Challenge

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/76755608

It's been a while since we've done a ride for points based on the top three of specified segments, be it hills or sprints.  Thus, when Vince suggested we do a route for points just prior to his paternity leave, how could I refuse?  The route would have two KOM segments and two sprint segments where first is awarded 30 points, second gets 20, and 3rd 10.  We had rules in the interest of safety, and everyone was advised to have a strategy to get top honors, or close to it, for this challenge.  Easy enough....

Strategies are a funny thing.  You can't really come up with a good strategy unless/until you know who you'll be up against.  When Shannon and Galen indicated they couldn't make it, it definitely factored in as to how I was going to play the game...but not much.  My plan, now that it's over and I can share it, would use the acronym DIVA, which stands for the following:

D - Don't be a hero
I - Ignore any gestures to pull
V - Victimize those who feel the need to be heroes
A - Ass haul but backwards

Even with this plan going into the event, one has to be prepared to alter, improvise and overcome depending on how things are going throughout.  Additional strategies used include let Todd take the KOMs as he will not likely challenge for the sprints, cover Todd at all costs after he ended up taking the first sprint (SPOILER alert), and toward the end just survive.

Adrian, Jeremy, Mitchell and Vin also came out and everyone was on board to give up a buck to the ultimate point winner...a twist I added to make it more worth the while.  Jeremy, however, was not really interested in the points as much as getting some training in, but since he was on the playing field, will be included in the point system nonetheless.  He ultimately would do a bulk of the work for the day, especially toward the end, so we're thankful to his contributions.  Now onto the challenge:

For the first challenge, it was to get to the top of Shady first.  The strategies started early on where despite Jeremy not playing, Todd would not let him get away too far on E Peltason and Anteater simply to prevent an incidental breakaway.  As we were going up Anteater, Todd tried to break away at this point with hopes of getting a green light at Bonita Canyon only to be stopped at a red.  I was chasing with Adrian in tow, but stopped immediately once I saw the light ahead of us.  Even after we crossed Bonita Canyon, the strategies ensued with Todd leading but in a pretty manageable pace.  He was encouraging me to pull, and I think I did once (violating the "I" above), but not for long where Todd resumed the front and led us onto the bike trail.

Surprisingly, Adrian ended up taking the front one the bike trail just before the last bridge.  I'm not sure if he was trying to break away, but it wasn't long after that Todd passed him with me in tow ultimately creating a gap.  Now, I think I could have challenged for the top of Shady, but I'm certain it would cost me two ways:  1) Todd would get angry (and we don't want to see Todd get angry...or so I hear) and really kill it everywhere else, and 2) I may get tired and I would like to save it for the sprints.  Thus, he took it with me just behind him.  Adrian, I hear, finished in #3.

For the second KOM challenge, Todd and I had broken away a little bit but I ended up blowing the turn where the others had managed to reel us in after I had to turn around.  Jeremy ended up taking the front again while Todd and I comfortably sat behind him.  Okay, so it wasn't that comfortable given that his pace broke the rest of the crew off.  Once we got near the top, Todd started to break away and we both passed Jeremy making our way to the top with Todd taking top honors again here.  My thought again was I only needed to get 2nd, and I'll contest the sprints hoping to get the best overall points.  Jeremy rolled up as #3, and the rest followed shortly.

When we got back down to Quail Hill, there were a couple breakaway attempts by Todd and Adrian, including one with Adrian cutting in front of a BMW (no bueno).  Fortunately, we were all able to get onto the bike trail safely, and the speed picked up right away.  Adrian and Mitchell were up front, with Mitchell ultimately setting us up with a leadout to the bridge.  When I saw Adrian take off from the #2 spot, I pursued.  He took a little early considering the wind, so after I passed when he blew himself out, I thought I clinched it.  Then to my left, I see Todd making his way past me after I apparently led him out where he was able to take top honors for the sprint.  Wha?  Apparently, he was covering me the whole time where the setup-er became the setup-ee.  Nice, Todd.  Jeremy, I believe, ended up rolling in at the #3 spot.

After the sprint, I couldn't believe one of my calves started cramping.  As we made our way onto the bridge, I was struggling (albeit keeping it on the downlow) just to keep up as Jeremy, Todd and Vin were pulling away ahead of me.  It was purely by the grace of God Almighty that the first light on Jeffrey turned red allowing me to roll up to them.

After we take off from the light, it was no longer a matter of strategy that I would stay away from the front as it was survival.  I would get hints of cramping where I just had to manage and not get it to fully lockup.  And yes, folks, I was drinking my water.  After all, it was HOT!

Jeremy was definitely doing a bulk of the work on the way back being up front.  There were times when he would gap us or when Vin would take off where I would ask Todd to pursue, but he responded with "I'm not worried about them."  The difference between Vin and Jeremy, however, was when Vin took off, he had breakaway intentions for sure.  Jeremy was just trying to keep the pace up and get a good workout, so his effort was definitely more beneficial for the rest of us.  In fact, we held him out for a good portion of the time as we made our way to University allowing for us to still have a good overall average for the ride.  Todd even tried to use him for a breakaway at one point only to catch Jeremy off guard.  I caught Todd's wheel as he passed anyway, so I was definitely covering the points leader.

Despite some obstacles on the bike path once we got to University, Mitchell takes off and everyone jumped on to prepare for the final sprint to California.  Looking back, I think my biggest mistake here was to continue with being in the #2 spot...especially with the winds not being favorable.  When I finally took off, I knew it would be a long one, but I went for it anyway.  The hard part about taking off though was that the bike trail was tight, I knew everyone else would be wanting to take off at some point, and I just had to keep looking over my shoulder before committing to the sprint.  This obviously provided the necessary cues for the others where once I took off, I apparently had others just behind me.  As we neared California, Adrian passes me first, and then Todd followed him past me.  While I congratulated them for a job well done at the base of California, in my mind I was screaming DAAAAAMMNNNN  IIITTTT!!!  HAHA

Todd led us up California with Jeremy and me in tow.  When Jeremy took off near the top, my instincts were to give chase and follow.  However, after realizing there was no money in it and the fact that I was just too tired, I stopped doing so.  We'll need to throw this hill in as one last pointed section next time though.

Here are the scores:


KOH1
KOH2
Sprint1
Sprint2
Totals
Todd
30
30
30
20
110
Adrian
10


30
40
Mitchell




0
Jeremy

10
10

20
Vin




0
Rich
20
20
20
10
70

Congratulations, Todd!  We all owe you a buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment