Thursday, August 15, 2013

BRCM Lunch - The Turtle Rock Ring Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/74972178

I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive about going out on today's lunch ride seeing only Shannon in the locker room initially.  After all, he and Vince punished me last week and left me sucking my thumb as I rode my way back on the bike trail alone midway through the route.  Not only is there the thought of how hard it will be to keep up with him, but he may also actually be angry with how long I end up holding him out IF I can keep up.  Fortunately, others started to trickle into the locker room some time after, and Adrian and Hiroshi came out and met us at the corner.  All together, it was a crew of 6 today with Vin and Jaffe rounding us out.  Phew!

Editorial sidenote:  One thing Shannon and I talked about in the locker room was how the new trend in our riding seems to be to see how much we can punish one another by sprinting from stop lights/signs at intersection, taking shortcuts (or fastcuts as I'd like to call them), and just not having the camraderie that we used to have thus having him ride in the same fashion as a result.  This may be a topic we'll need to touch on with our group sometime, but I'm just throwing it out there as a preview for a future discussion.

Back to the ride....

Adrian started us off early on with an early breakaway with Hiroshi.  Shannon ended up closing the gap before the stop sign on E. Peltason, and ended up taking the lead subsequently.  Although I was a couple riders back, I couldn't let Shannon be held out for too long, so I eventually pulled up to the front and thought to myself...hmmm, this is going to be one of those rides, huh?

We ended up making the light on Bonita Canyon and proceeded up Shady with Shannon once again taking the lead.  I rolled to the back after my pull, but ended up having to roll up and relieve him some time after.  The next time, I just opted to get right behind him to prevent being splintered off.

Shannon took us up to Sunnyhill, but there were a lot of cars that had approached the intersection upon our arrival.  Shannon and Jaffe ended up getting through, but the rest of us had to wait for the traffic to clear and eventually ended up going into chase mode.

I half expected that when I took the front to give chase that we were going to be in for a long day if I were to do the work alone.  To my welcomed surprise, Vin and Adrian rolled up to the front to help keep the pace up with Vin eventually rolling us up to the back of Shannon and Jaffe.  Vin actually kept going past the two but was eventually relegated back into the draft.  I had gotten up front past Vin, but Shannon relieved me shortly after and pretty much towed the group all the way to the Ridgeline intersection (our first regroup point).

Adrian came up from the back and took the lead as we made our way over to Shady.  I ended up taking the front after we were on the trail, but he wanted to do a little sprint up the hill after the bridge.  Do I need to indicate the outcome here, folks?

The others rolled up after, and we were together again as we made our way up to the rest of the Shady climb.  There were no sprints to the top, but everyone was pretty tight as we made our way up and over the crest.

As we made our way toward the 405, Jaffe took the "fast cut" by skipping the trails and riding the streets to get to the last trail opening before heading toward the 405.  I reeled him and we were all working to make our way to the bridge.  I didn't think anyone was contest for a sprint in that section as the wind was just a little too much.

We stayed together as we made our way to Ridgeline and hit the light where everyone waited patiently to cross and start the climb.  Well, almost everyone....  Adrian arrived at the light behind us, but jumped to get a headstart.  Vin started up the hill after him with the rest of us in tow, and it took up to the first part that pitched up to reel Adrian in.  I had taken the front around that point, and opted to keep the pace up as best as I could (which doesn't say much), but I was surprised/impressed that Hiroshi stayed latched on the whole time.  All that Como and Coffee Crew training is definitely paying off.

we regrouped again at Turtle Rock, and Adrian ended up jumping to the front and leading us a good portion of the way down.  I finished and got us to the bottom and eventually to the Campus/Culver intersection where we made it just as the light turned green.  After that, it was the Shannon show going up Culver.

I know for a fact that while Culver is not particularly steep, Shannon can drop some serious wattage on this seemingly long ass hill.  I tried to pass at one point, but maybe it was a half-hearted attempt given the pace he was already going.  Looking back after we passed the first light, I saw that Shannon singlehandedly snapped the rest of the guys off.  I just hung on eating some humble pie along the way as he towed me to the top.  I did apologize for holding him out after, so if anything, I'm not shameless. HA HA.

We took turns on Bonita Canyon and the headwind there was pretty stiff.  Nevertheless, we managed to keep the rest at bay and made it to Ford without seeing anyone else behind us.

As we headed to the Condo, I wasn't sure if Shannon was strategizing the hill as he fell back (like I would when I set others up...HA) as I lead us toward it.  When we got there though, it was a cluster given there was a guy making a right turn as we approached the intersection and a truck with orange cones parked right after the corner obstructing the path.  Thus, the climb up the condo was rather uneventful.

When Shannon and I arrived and waited for the light on McArthur, Vin eventually rolled up behind us followed by Hiroshi and Jaffe.  Vin proceeded to tell us how Jaffe blocked him off as Shannon and I broke away, but I think what he may not have realized was that he wouldn't have been blocked off if he was closer to or actually up front.  Just sayin.

When I was at the McArthur light with just Shannon, I wasn't sure he'd be up for a sprint, but with Vin rolling up...you just know the kid wanted to take a stab at it.  If he did, I figured I'd let him start us off so I got behind him as we made our way past some stop lights before he 73.  Once we were approaching the last light, Hiroshi decided to take off and ultimately lead us out for the sprint.  I came around from Vin's draft and jumped over to Hiroshi's while I watched the kid get behind me.  Although I prefer the #3 spot, I'd see what he could do from me being in #2.  Once we got past the last light, I looked over and saw Vin getting ready to sprint so I took off.  Now the kid had some momentum and came up to my left seemingly like he would be able to pass me.  Fortunately for me (unfortunate for him), I was still gaining momentum and stuffed his attack like Raid on roaches.  Old guys rule!

It was a great workout and nice fast group ride for most of the route...until Shannon splintered off the others.  I hope this is something we can extend to weekends again, but for now I'm content with doing so at lunch.  Thanks, gents!  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rich, man, you opened a can of worms there...

    I haven't really modified my riding style based on how other folks ride. It is fine with me if someone wants to make a traffic light breakaway, I certainly don't take them personally (although they are strange).

    Racing to and from each light is a bit of a pain in the ass, but I suppose most of them are Strava segments or sprint zones. And, actually, on lunch rides it is understandable, on the 100 milers it is a bit unique.

    As for my 'attacks', I appreciate the 'wicked', 'vicous', descriptors and will consulting Jeremy on how to generate some appropriate body art.

    I would say, I now understand what you meant when you said something about how you could tell people wanted to breakaway. But, in general, mine are not intentional, and are just due to more riding and a different workout routine. I like you guys, but hate the wind and try not to cracked on hills. Now though, I do, look back(I never would before) just to see if folks are sitting on my wheel. Not so much to attack, but because all of you are strong enough to keep up and attack yourselves.

    The thing I mentioned, which didn't make the blog, is how I like mountain biking because it is more relaxing than road biking. The regroup points are clear, the separation is not so much an issue (as we always work together to handle a mechanical, and riding back like 5 miles to do so would be a PITA), not a huge amount of competition/racing; it is just low stress, but tough none the less.

    I'm not bitching about riding with the team. I think we all feel the same about how the intensity is overwhelming and without any help/relief it is a bit much to motivate for. I tend to fade in and out because of that. Literally, most of my problems have been with simply getting a drink of water or hitting the head, it's hard to even get a 5 min break with this crew. Although, I suppose I am as responsible for that mode of operation as anyone. LOL.

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suppose it is a can of worms, but I hope you didn't think it was a reflection of you as much as my intent to reflect how the group dynamics have changed. I suppose breakaways are okay, but I prefer the type that are more natural and based on attrition rather than TLB and sprint passes (the latter being a lesser offense between the two).

      I didn't capture the whole discussion we had only to hopefully defer it all to a conversation we can all have as a group someday down the road. Like you said though, it may be difficult to corral this group, but it doesn't hurt to share opinions on what I think can still get us a great workout without being so cutthroat.

      In any case, I enjoying riding with the group nonetheless and my comment with "never a dull moment" stands. The rides continue to evolve, but I hope not to the point where it discourages or demotivates others and ultimately reduces the size of our outings.

      Let's get some riding in this weekend!

      -Rich

      Delete