Monday, August 5, 2013

BRCM Lunch - Shady Ridgeline Loop Training with the Beast

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/72451869

After a weekend of blissfully neglecting my diet AND training, I was really looking forward to getting some good solo miles on my TT bike today.  I even missed my morning training (user error with the alarm clock), so I had every intention to try and burn off all the bad food and drinks I had.  When I saw Shannon in the locker room, he confirmed he was riding as well but on his road bike.  At first, we were going to go our own separate ways, but it's always intense training with Shannon.  Thus, I'm glad he allowed me to ride with him rather than me doing my typical triple BB.  We ended up doing the bike trail > Laguna Canyon > Quail Hill > Ridgeline > Culver > McArthur loop instead.

Despite being on my TT bike, Shannon was still rather monstrous on his BMC.  As we headed down toward the bridge near Harvard, the pace was fast throughout.  Shannon was definitely able to negotiate the turns better, and if it weren't for the fact I was on my TT (with an aero helmet AND a skinsuit), I probably would have been waving at him as he pulled away from me.  As he would pull away on the turns, I had to tuck in just so I can catch up and work with him again.  It was madness!

When we did cross over the bridge, I thought we could slow it down some but Shannon started to pull away again after he got back on the trail.  It took a lot to just catch back up to him, which speaks volumes given I was on a cheater bike. 

We definitely set some good speed on the trails, followed with the ride over to Quail Hill and back on the 405 bike trail.  I tried going for the segment to the bridge, but the wind was rough so I was only able to eek out a 2nd place to my best time on that section.  Not too shabby given the headwind.

On Ridgeline and down toward Campus via Turtle Rock, I had gotten a little ahead of Shannon but he caught me at the light on Culver.  I did my best to try and lead us up, but Shannon had to finish the rest of the hill at the top as I started to fade pretty good.

I was able to recover somewhat on Bonita Canyon and took the lead, but Shannon jumped to the front from the light just before McArthur and hauled some serious ass all the way to Bison and ultimately to CA.  I was thinking I would be able to push past after the 73, but Shannon lit it up at that point so all I could do was watch.  Nice sprint!

It was good to ride with Shannon again, and as expected never a dull moment.  He had trained in Orchard Hills yesterday, so that along with me being on my TT bike was probably why I didn't end up on my death bed out there.  Thanks for the push, Shannon!






No comments:

Post a Comment