Monday, February 14, 2011

BRCM Lunch Ride - Valentines Day

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/68332271

I wasn't sure anyone was going to go out on a Monday but was glad that others brought in their bikes.  PV, Todd, and Dave joined for a bike trail Shady loop.  Todd had his sexy new carbon hoops on with the powertap so I knew it was going to be interesting.  I also took new bike out for its maiden voyage with new pedals, so I was just hoping to just keep up.

Once we got on the bike trail, the pace kicked up pretty good.  Todd and PV were doing some mad pulls, and I took some turns up front as well.  Dave hung on as best as he could for a while where I looked back at one point thinking we had been moving pretty fast, but he was still there.  I think by the time we got to the bridge though, the pace got to him and it was just us 3.  Keep coming out, Dave!

Todd and PV were relentless on the bike trail, and I'm glad there were some pedestrians that slowed us up when they did.  I was afraid to reach down for a drink because these guys were pushing pretty hard throughout.  I think my first drink was actually at Laguna Cyn.  HAHA


We still stayed together through Laguna and Quail Hill, but I almost dropped trying to get clip in on new pedals (newbie!).  thankfully, we were going downhill, and I was able to catch them by the next light. 


On Shady, Todd first started the climb and I was right behind him.  PV passed us both at an increased pace, and I jumped right on with Todd behind me.  PV was holding a great pace going up, but near the end, Todd and I had a little more so we jumped to get to the top.  Todd powers through past me and got to the top first. 


Going down Shady, PV passed us both again to take the lead but after the bridge, dropped his chain.  We kept telling him to stop pedaling, but he was set on pedaling hoping it would just jump back on?  Maybe that works on a mountain bike, but I don't think road bike high modulus frames take too kindly to the chain banging on them.  Just saying.  PV got it back on quickly, and we were off. 

Todd led us going up the hill towards Bonita after the bike trail and I did a pull to finish the top.  Once there, PV took over followed by Todd and me.  When Todd passed PV, I wasn't sure if he was going to sprint or not, but I had some left over and decided to see what the bike can do.   Now if only I could have measured power. 

On Bonita Cyn, we were still hauling ass and everyone was taking turns all the way through Ford.  Near the top, I took over for Todd and I tried to lead them onto Jamboree going wide on Ford so we can get some good momentum.  PV and Todd didn't follow my line and took one inside instead.  I told them I was swinging in, so they checked up to let me keep my line.  Since they did, I took the opportunity to breakaway from these goats.  I expected to get passed, but curiously, they never did.  They must just want to make me feel good on the bike. 

On Bison going over the 73, I was wondering if they were going to sprint and they jumped one of the lights like they wanted to.  When I passed them after, I waited to see whether there would be a final sprint to the gate.  At the stop sign, Todd told me he wasn't going to sprint so I looked around to see where PV was in case he was interested.  As we neared the gate, Todd yells out "Just kidding" and sprints to the gate first.  Nice.

21 mph average today in the loop. Tomorrow should be equally interesting. Thanks for the workout, gents!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought for sure I could catch the pack by skipping the Laguna section, but I never saw anyone after the bridge. On Shady I was prepared for another mad dash but I guess by then they were long gone... Well just having the thought of someone coming up behind me kept me motivated through out the rides.

    David

    ReplyDelete