Tuesday, February 22, 2011

CCW Shady Laguna Canyon Bike Trail Jamboree Loop

My GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69650287

Todd's GPS with power stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/69664756


7 of us started out the ride with Hiroshi leading out to Anteater probably as he was used to doing so for the Wed/Fri rides.     Todd and Vince took over at Anteater and kept the pace pretty high all the way up to Bonita Canyon where I think we started to get strung out.

I jumped to go ahead right before the light turned green, but others took over and pulled to the bike trail.  Adrian led the first attack on the bike trail trying to create a gap, but Vince and Todd (with me in tow) eventually reeled him in near the top.  There was one moment where I thought I'd challenge Todd and Vince to the top, but they both accelerated just as I was getting ready to attack.  Damn!

We regrouped at the bottom and the group had been reduced to 5.  Ironman Eddie stayed in the mix, and actually took some pretty impressive pulls here and there.  Mine paled in comparison according to Vince.  When I tried to take a pull after Adrian on the bike trail, Todd took over right away.  I guess that makes me a slacker, but I didn't want to pull a Cal.  Lastly, my solo 70 miler yesterday with 5500 elevation gain didn't help, but I love the no-slacking rule regardless. 

After the bridge, the pace was still pretty high, and it took me a while to even have a chance to get up front.  I was on the verge of dropping off at times, but I hung on.  When we got on the stretch headed to California, I decided I'd go ahead and lead out the group for a sprint that I would not participate in.   Adrian, Vince and Todd took off, along with another guy on a Madone (based on what was all over his kit) who jumped in with us on the trail after we passed him.

Once past California, I decided I better close the gap again since the locals don't take lightly to others jumping on.  Further, Mr. Madone decided he wanted to try and break away from us so Todd and Vince answered that, and Adrian and I ended up passing him as well before we got to Jamboree.  Lucky for him, he turned toward Back Bay while we went up the hill.

Going up Jamboree, Todd and Vince kept pushing and pulled away from us.  I was probably less than 10 yards back, but at the end, they extended the gap pretty good.  Adrian was still recovering from his sprint, and ended up dropping off going up.  However, he did catch us at the light on Bison.

On Bison, I ended up timing the light before McArthur in time, and ended up sprinting through the light on McArthur before it turned red leaving the other guys behind.  This was not so much an act of aggression as much as just so I can actually rest a little and get a drink since I barely was able to reach down during the whole ride.

Good ride today, guys!  I'll try to work harder on Thursday.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment