Tuesday, February 15, 2011

NPC Double Back Bay Route

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/68475461

Decent size group with 9 of us out today.  We got out and made it back before the weather got too ugly.  I thought Adrian was sweating like me on the way back, but it was just starting to drizzle.  HA HA

Gary started us out, but ended up missing right turn on Health Sciences and had to turn around.  With this group, the "snooze you lose" saying applies, so poor S-Gary had to work to get back up to some of the group.  Vince was on a mission up front, so those of us who could hang on did.  Good job to Mike Z. for hanging on.

Once we got on NPC, Vince and Shannon took off.  Adrian trailed for a little bit but fell off where I stayed with him for a while.  Then Noah passed us but since he wasn't feeling too good today, couldn't hold the pace and Adrian ended up being able to latch on.  I just missed, but the two didn't get too far ahead.   At the top, Vince and Shannon where no where to be seen and Adrian rounded San Joaquin trying desperately to catch them.

I eventually caught Noah on the descend and was working to catch Adrian but we got caught at one of the lights.  Adrian got ahead and almost caught Vince and Shannon, but just missed the light at McArthur.  Noah and I sat at the intersection before McArthur while Adrian waited to cross also.  While our light took a while to turn green, Adrian's fortunately took longer.  The 3 of us got to ride together through PCH and through Bayside.  At one of the lights, Noah started making fun of my sweating again.  Original.

Once on BB, we were able to reel Adrian in after his attempted breakaway.  Adrian and I started working together, and after a while, I didn't see Noah behind us anymore.  Make fun of that, Noah  Just kidding!

Adrian was definitely lighting it up on some sections, and I tried to do the same.  He got to the top of Back Bay first on the first loop (and the 2nd actually).  On Jamboree, I knew better than to pass him since I now know his tactics.  When he tried to attack mid-hill, hecould not shake me off.  After we passed Bison, I took the pull for the remainder of the climb.

The 2nd loop was like the first except a guy in a van on his mobile phone almost took us out on one of the turns as he crossed over the double-yellow.  Narrowly escaping death (okay, maybe slightly exaggerated), we went on and as indicated above, Adrian took the 2nd top of Back Bay.  He then took off and chased down Jaffe and Hiroshi who we saw on the bike trail.  He eventually got ahead of them, but I just couldn't close the gap in time before CA.  Good job to Jaffe and Hiroshi.

On CA, we climb together for a bit, and then I tried to kick it up a notch, but Adrian and Jaffe (I think it was Jaffe) stayed with me.  Adrian took over a little past mid-way, and then I lit him up near the top (payback).  I sprinted through the green light and was happy to see it turning yellow as I went through but that didn't slow Adrian down.  He tried to chase me down to the gate, but after what Todd did yesterday, I couldn't let it happen.

Too bad we didn't really get to ride all together too much today, but it was still a good training session.  21 mph avg (21.5 moving) was pretty decent.  Good workout.  Thanks for coming out, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment