Sunday, February 27, 2011

Super Cold Sunday Ride

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70535731

Mike Z. invited Shannon and I to go out with his Coto crew (Craig and Dave...good guys!) where they wanted to leave from Ladera Ranch at 6:15 a.m.  Driving their and seeing the "ice" light come on in my car with temperatures dipping as low as 33 degrees had me worried to say the least.  I thought a long sleeve base layer, leg warmers, a wind breaker vest and full fingered gloves would be enough, but boy did I get that wrong.   Everyone else came better prepared. 

The pace was mellow like a warm-up should be in the beginning, but near the top of Antonio before dropping towards Ortega Hwy, Shannon picked it up some and was moving pretty good down the hill.  I followed and froze my hands and face off.  By the time we got on Ortega, my hands were just hurting.

We went down to Dana and took a quick bio break at the restroom near Cove.  From there, the charge up Cove followed.  I was so cold that all I wanted to do was warm up, so I took off up to the top.  This falsely  led Craig to believe that I loved hill where he was convinced that was my thing.  He obviously wasn't watching Shannon blaze up some of the other hills.

We then headed to Pacific Island Drive together and Shannon paced me going up where I was trying to see how long I can pedal off the seat.  Shannon could have passed me any time but held my rear wheel to monitor the power output.  Why buy a Powertap when Shannon can just pace you up a hill?

We climb Aliso Creek next and then went down to Laguna Beach via 133.  Some good pulls from the group going down.  We finally ended up at the Crystal Cove shopping center where we got some much needed coffee for more defrosting.

From there, we went up NPC where Shannon just lit us all up.  I tried to stay with him, but considering how hard he was charging, I decided quickly thereafter that it would be better just to hold my pace.

On NPC, Shannon was hauling ass down the hill and we all followed.  Craig was on a compact crank with a 12-27 cassette, so we definitely kept him spinning out on the downhills.

We went up Shady and I tried to make a little break away to see if I can charge to the top at a good pace.  I had a pretty good lead on Shannon...or so I thought, but the next thing I know, he was right behind me just before the top and passes me just before it crested.  Animal!

We then rode through to Quail Hill and Laguna Canyon.  Once on Barranca, Shannon pulled us to a group of guys who I thought we may end up mixing it up with.  However, it turned out Mike Z. knew these guys also and we ended up riding with them toward Mission Viejo.

Once we got on Los Alisos, Shannon wanted to bring up the wattage and I followed.  I wasn't sure where we were going at one point, so I think me calling out to Shannon to ask where we were headed slowed him up a bit.  Good tactic.  I'll use it for Solvang.  We did end up dropping the others based on Shannon's pace, but we ended up meeting at the top of Vista Del Lago.  This was my first time up that hill and I ended up losing sight of Shannon until I got to the top.  Craig and Dave followed shortly after and Mike Z. brought up the rear.

On the way down, we stopped at a Carl's Jr. to get Mike Z. some mustard to help with his cramping.  I offered a shot blok and Shannon offered electrolytes, but mustard was his savior for the day.  Craig said that the vinegar in the mustard should help, but my offering to let Mike Z. suck on my socks (vinegar equivalent) was turned down.

We ended up parting ways with the Coto crew at Antonio/Oso, and Shannon and I charged the last section of Antonio just before Crown.  Windy!

Good lunch and some good brew with a good buddy...life was good at the Ranch.  Shannon's the man!

1 comment:

  1. It's pretty rough in the cold weather, and hard to concentrate on the task at hand. The cold weather gear helps a bit with the cold, but makes the riding all different. I don't think many feet had any feeling in them until after the ride.

    Luckily, the guys were on time and we rolled out as planned.

    Rich somehow convinced the other guys that he was a hill climber by the way he kept attacking on each and every one of them! We couldn't manage to get them to believe otherwise. LOL.

    (We may have to re-evaluate things, you were the only one that came with on the Los Alisos break-away, 15mins at +300watts pretty much is high climber territory!)

    We had a strong group. And the loop went by pretty quick even with the cold. We ripped off a few sections I suppose.

    Thanks for putting the nail in it on Antonio Rich, you didn't fade at all during the day!

    -Shannon.

    ReplyDelete