Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Portola and Back with Jamboree Finish

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/67330208

Nice turn out with 11 people out there today.  Good to see Seon join us today from Wed/Fri group.  S-Gary almost didn't make it, but the group waited for him (and waited...and waited).

From the onset, I knew it was going to be a fast one.  While the wind felt like it would be troublesome, the pace was fast pretty much throughout with only slowing on Harvard (due to lights) and of course, up Jamboree.  It probably didn't help that I was trying to break away on CA hoping to catch a light, but everyone jumped on and the tone was set. 

Todd and Adrian were pushing the pace once on the bike trail, and while the group stayed together for a good portion, the pace took it's toll and the group started to get strung out some.  However, no one dropped off too far back, and we were all together again to cross Barranca on Harvard. 

Gary was also taking some turns up front rotating with Adrian and Todd.  When the guy up front would roll out, they were always coming back into the line early so they can once again get into the rotation.  I stayed behind Mike Z., who provided the perfect draft throughout. 

Nearing Portola, the first sneak attack of the day came from Noah where he relentlessly charged to the top keeping the average for that last section still above 22.  Good job!

At the top, everyone sat and waited to re-group, but S-Gary didn't want to stop and get everyone going again.  It was a crazy pace going down the bike trail, and it was always scary to drop from the front since every opportunity to try and create a gap seemed to be taken.  However, it never really worked as someone would always reel in the breakaways.  This made for a maddening pace into the wind back, but a lot of people hung on and stayed together throughout.  

After Mitchell's pull on the bike trail, Adrian and Todd were up front and everyone was waiting for another attack to CA.  Out of nowhere, sneak attack #2 came from Eddie on his TT bike, and he just left the group while tucked in a full aero position.  I gave chase once I realized he was going for a breakaway (I thought he may take another turn up front initially), and it was just too late.  Good job!

On Jamboree, Todd and Noah were duking it out to the top and despite Noah's sandbagging with how he's sick, I heard he reached the top first.   I guess tactics begin even before the ride.   I found a decent pace going up it, and mistakenly believed it was good enough to pass Adrian.   The bastard let me reel him in only to crank past me shortly after.  Eddie did the same thing, but we kept swapping back and forth.  He rolled past me across Bison though, so....

On Bison, Adrian and Todd were going for it but got caught at the light on McArthur.  Once the light turned green, Gary got the breakaway, but Adrian and Todd reeled him in.  Over the 73, I wanted to finish strong so I broke away here.  I did have to keep looking over my shoulder, but ultimately, no one contested to the gate.

Although this was a good training ride, the true highlight was that runner we passed just before going under Jamboree on the bike trail.  My goodness gracious. 

Thanks for the workout, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment