Wednesday, May 25, 2011

BRCM Lunch - NPC Ridge Park Pelican PCH CDM PCH BB CA

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88007549

Good turn out today for a Wednesday, and the weather couldn't be more perfect.  We ended up skipping the interval training S-Gary had planned and instead ended up doing an NPC > Ridge Park > Pelican (down) > PCH > CDM > Jamboree > BB > CA route, which in my opinion may have been more intense that S-Gary's original plan.

Gary led us out all the way to NPC, and was pushing a good pace already in the beginning (typical).  On NPC, Todd led the group up, but we got split up at the first or 2nd light.  Todd, Mitchell, Hiroshi, and Gary made their way up first, and the rest of us followed behind running into the first group at the light to Ridge Park.

On Ridge Park, Todd held a good pace while Hiroshi stayed with him all the way up to Vista Ridge.  Hiroshi is getting scary on the hills.  Todd ended up doing extra credit, so I followed for some additional training.  I saw Gary do the extra credit also (and maybe 1 more). 

On Vista, Todd went down with the others who waited and we all met up at the bottom at the light.  Todd also lead the group out on NPC, so I finally decided to help and keep the pace up.  We took turns on Pelican, and at the bottom of it, I thought I'd turn it up a notch to keep everyone honest.  I looked back and Eddie was breathing down my neck with Todd in tow, but I don't know if I saw anyone else behind them by the time we got back to NPC. 

We kept the pace up going down NPC and PCH, and Eddie took this one pull where it nearly turned me inside out just to be able to jump on his wheel after he passed us. Good job!  We ended up getting stuck at the light on Poppy where Mitchell had caught up followed by everyone else. Jeremy got a little anxious at the light, and went through followed by someone uttering "Sandy."  Since we want to keep encouraging Jeremy to keep coming out (the improvements are showing), we'll defer the award for the next time.

Everyone was catching their breath as we were going through CDM, but once we made it back onto PCH, Todd passed me and says "Let's light this thing up."   Nice.  S-Gary was just behind him but kindly let me get behind Todd.  As we were starting to speed up, we had to succumb to stopping at a light.  Once it turned green, Todd's words were still bouncing around between my ears, so I took the front and tried to keep the pace high until I almost detonated.  I started falling back and Hiroshi from the back let me back in line. 

We were all mostly together when we made our way to Back Bay drive, and S-Gary (I believe) did the initial lead out.  Once he rolled off, Todd got up front and started gapping the rest of the group. I swung out with Eddie in tow to close the gap and momentum had me continue past San Joaquin pulling the others.  Eddie, Todd, Mitchell and I took turns up front keeping the pace up.  As we were nearing the top of Back Bay with me at the front, Hiroshi with his Samurai spirit launched an attack and broke away.  I looked back to see if anyone was going to respond, but no one did.  I was already worked, but I had no choice but to bridge the gap after taking one deep breath.  After doing so, I was cooked with nothing left for the steep climb to the top.  I didn't want to get in Todd's way, so I waved him by, but he thought I was just luring him and said "yeah, right" or something to that effect. At CA, after I explained  how I blew up on BB, he figured a "thank you" would probably have been more appropriate.  HA HA

Todd did break away at the top, and Mitchell and Hiroshi, with Jaffe in tow, were trying to keep the pace up on the bike trail heading to CA.  Once we got passed the bridge though, I dropped the hammer to close the gap but 3 guys, who we saw on NPC also, were on the path so I checked up behind them.  Coincidentally, they were going up CA as well. 

On CA, one of the 3 guys started to climb ahead of us but checked up to wait for the other 2 he was with.  Todd led us up CA at a 19+ mph pace after, and near the top, I took advantage and sprinted past.  One thing I learned is that if you don't sprint past Todd, he'll pick up his pace and get you back.  I probably owe him a thank you as well for setting the pace. 

We all regrouped at the light on Bison, and at the start, Eddie passed us up and looked back tauntingly like he was going to sprint.  I asked him if he was going to bust it, and to go ahead and do so when all of a sudden, S-Gary blew past us.  Sweet!  One more chase before the showers.  The runway was short, and while I was able to close the gap, I'll say S-Gary for the win! 

Good ride today.  Let's hope we have some left for tomorrow.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment