Monday, May 23, 2011

Vince's Baldy Stage 7 Ride and Race Summary


Todd and I decided to go up to Claremont to ride and then watch the Stage 7 of the TOC.  The pre-ride, race, and post ride drink fest was a perfect 10 in my book.  Amgen really put a good one together this year. 


Ride summary:
Todd and I left from Claremont at about 745 to head up GMR, GRR, and then Baldy.  Pam and Tiff were nice enough to get up early, drop us off at Claremont, and then find a spot on Baldy road to tailgate.  Todd and I were cruising down E Foothill and the first guy we roll up on had a Descender’s jersey.  He notices Todd’s Stagecoach Jersey and proceeds to tell us how their “A” team would of won the TT but broke a derailer.  At this point I am keeping my mouth shut as we don’t have BRCM kits on and want to hear what he has to say.  Nice guy and hope we didn’t hurt his feelings when we dropped him like bad habit.  At this point, I was both disappointed in myself and Todd for not flying the BRCM colors at this event.  The amateurs pre-riding this thing was about the same a letape.  Lots of clubs and teams representing. 

GMR:  Todd and I rode together at what I thought was optimal pace to have a strong Baldy finish.  We worked together and were passing a ton of people.  It was perfect weather and I was really glad Todd and I made it out.  GMR is really a fun climb when you’re not turning yourself inside out for a KOM. 

GRR:
We made through GMR at a good time and continued the moderate pace as we passed through the split of East Fork and GRR.  This is where we noticed the massive crowds forming on the mountain to witness the best mountain stage in the history of TOC.  We soaked in the drunken cheers and bell rings we were gifted by the friendly people waiting for the real race.  When we passed people we said “hi” chatted a bit and were being very none competitive about it.  We never speed by and did the “is that all you got” look back.  Unfortunately, a 4 man crew in InCycle kits wanted to play and were looking to incite a challenge.  Luck would have it that they were about to pass 2 breast milk deficient type “A” BRCM riders.  There was nothing subtle about how they passed us the first time.  As we were coming down a hill to start another climb on the ridge they came by us on the uptick with a standing pass that was meant to gap.  Knowing we had another 10-11 miles of cat2 climbing left, Todd and just tempo up to them after a few turns and slowly passed.  As we hit the next downhill, they pulled another attack.  At this point I started taking inventory of the situation.  Todd looked fine but we were out numbered 4 to 2.  I could tell that 1 guy was consistently sitting 3 to 4th wheel and could be looking for a free ride or holding back.  By the way 2 of the other 3 where sprinting by us, they were either good or just hoping a 500m hill sprint would scare us away.  The last one was tempo riding but strong.  My thought process at this point was a) most likely these guys are not riding Baldy and we should let them go b) Maybe we can hammer with these guys on the Ridge and then I can talk Todd out of doing Baldy, c) Hammer through the Ridge and pray the cramp Gods have mercy on me for Baldy.  Since I was having fun and feeling good I decided to keep rolling with the punches without consulting Todd (big mistake that I would later pay for in form of a variety chalk colored ass stamps).  At this point the gloves came off and the attacks were quick and often.  It only took ~1mile to rid ourselves of the sprinters.  Unfortunately for me, but fortunate for Todd and Baldy, we dropped LTJ a little bit after.  Now it’s me tempo guy and wheel sitter.  Tempo guy starts working the pace and answers with some upticks.  I start rethink the constant retaliations and decide to do some wheel sitting myself given the situation.  Just as I start to recover, wheelsitter turns it on and tempo guy jumps on his wheel.  This is when I think to myself “no way I am doing Baldy”.  I keep them within 2 bike length and start seeing some kinks in Tempo guys armor, I launch one last acceleration and we drop him.  Now it is me and wheelsitter, who looks surprised to see me and not his fallen comrade.  Impressively, he hits another acceleration and puts ~100m on me about 1 mile from the downhill into the village.  He holds this gap all the way to KOM atop the ridge.  I see him under a InCycle eazyup and realize his day is done. I wait for Todd contemplating how to convince him not to ride Baldy. I conversation went like this “[me]Todd, I am beat, lets skip Baldy.  [Todd] No way, we can’t tell the guy’s we didn’t hit Baldy”!.  I need to work on my negotiating skills. 

Baldy Rd:
I am hurting and we are not even to the SB’s when Todd drops me.  The looks people are giving are a mix of pity and laughter.  Thankfully the pity part got me plenty pushes up the hill!  The drunk circus lines Baldy road and they love cheering on slugs like me up Baldy.  The best part is the “pushers” put a nice chalk covered hand strategically placed on your ass while they push you.  By the time I got to the top, my ass was tattooed with pink hand stamps to prove that I needed every bit of help from turn #9 drunk crew.  Todd must have been waiting for me at least 10-15 minutes. 

THE RACE:
It was one of the coolest events I have been to.  By mile 12 the Peleton was less than 60, a breakaway was formed, and the sprinters were looking for help.  The stage delivered some outstanding views and racing.  Baldy (lodge to the lifts) absolutely exploded the breakaway and what was left of the peleton only 2 miles into the climb.  I could not believe what Radio Shack team’s did.  They absolutely  killed everyone but Levi and Horner.  Schleck was done, he freaking started to paper boy on the wall for a few pedal strokes.  The one thing about these guy’s it they don’t have an inbetween speed when they are going FTW.  They are either flying up the mountain spinning like crazy or they are done.  I don’t care if I had a triple, no way could I spin like them up fng baldy.  I suffer up baldy and they actually ride up.  I hate pros.  We partied like rockstars after the race and met up with couple that was out from Florida to watch the whole race.  After some 4x4’ng they were nice enough to take us to dinner.  Tiff and Pam had a blast and made lots of friends.  Good times.  Next time we need more than 2 BRCM riders to do this right.  I plan on bringing my trailer, parking by a KOM, and we going ride and party again.  I will be passing out free ass stamps pushed  to anyone who needs one (hopefully opposite sex).   

No comments:

Post a Comment