Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hill Trainer - Highland Pac Island (both sides) Nyes Park NPC Shady 133 Aliso Creek

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89071575

I met up with Gary and Eddie in Aliso Viejo at the Starbucks where we used to meet in the past and rolled out shortly after 7 a.m. as planned.  There was a marathon or something going on at Alicia, but we managed to still ride on it to head toward the hills.

We hit Highlands and Pac Island, where on the latter, Gary wanted to make sure we did both sides to keep us honest. 

After short breaks at the top, we then took Eddie for his first time up Nyes and Park.  Fortunately for him, he had his compact crank on.  When we hit Nyes after the 3 climbs we've done already, I had to turn out just a little on a few pedal strokes because the intensity was pretty high.  Eddie was a trooper and stayed with me for a good part of the hill.  He even took an inside line on the first right where it pitches up ridiculously.

We hit Park after finding our way down Summit, and Eddie broke away for a bit once the road widened up.  I found a rhythm to make my way to him and passed him eventually, and I believe Gary was able to close on him as well. 

After Park, we rode on PCH toward NPC after reeling in some guys and passing them in downtown Laguna Beach and just outside of it. 

NPC seemed a lot easier considering the hills we just did, and S-Gary was working his way to try and sneak past me at the top but got caught at a light.  Once at the top, Eddie didn't want to take any breaks and we were off toward Shady. 

Going up Shady, I started to feel some hints of cramping, but some Shot Bloks took care of that.  Gary had lead us up the hill where I was hanging back, but I managed to ride up on them at a bridge due to pedestrian traffic.  Near the top, Eddie decided to "bust it" but I had just enough for him.  I had to remain seated though just in case Mr. Cramp wanted to come out and play.

We kept the pace pretty decent going up 133, with Gary taking some strong pulls.  When we got on El Toro, Gary seemed to fall back some while Eddie stayed with me as we headed toward Aliso Creek.  Going up Aliso, I was watching to see if anyone was coming up behind me as I climb, and just like NPC, S-Gary was trying to set me up for a pass in between looks but didn't manage to because of another light.

Great hill trainer with 5100+ feet of vert in 48 miles...I didn't realize how good until afterwards when I went to lunch and a movie with the family.  Legs were toast. 

Thanks, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment