Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gary's race report - 2011 Big Bear US Cup #5

Just as PV described the race, it was very challenging from a fitness perspective.  On our pre-ride, I was already feeling the altitude and knew it was going to be a painful day.

Right from the start, the top rider in my category went out hard.  I knew if I were to try and hold that pace that soon it would be suicide.  I kept a pace I knew I could hold for a while.  Mid way up the first climb I was able to push a little harder, but felt like I was going so slow that all I was hoping for was to not be in last place.  My heart rate was already above 170 and was very concerned.

The first hill kept going and going before we got any relief.  As PV stated, the relief was short lived and we were climbing again. 

For me, I was really surprised on the downs.  I seemed to come up on riders quickly and even passed a bunch.  This is so opposite for me since I have no technical skills on the mtb and thought I would make up most of my time on the up's.  Just before the last ST, there was a fast fire road section that I was able to pace with a cat 1 rider.

When I got to the finish and heard PV yell out to me, my immediate reaction was how slow I must have been for him to of beat me down given I was doing a shorter course.  We checked my mileage and realized I had done the same course as PV.  Either I missed a turn and did the wrong course, which would not have surprised me, or I was supposed to have done the medium course.  Cat 2 and 3 did the same course so I was still possibly not in last place.

My legs were already starting to tighten up so the climb back the car was quite fun.  We had a few before heading down to the restaurant to check on our results.  I was shocked to see myself being 3rd.  Talking to others, it seems like everyone felt like they were much slower than they were used to. 

Thanks PV, Rich and Shannon for talking me into doing this.  I believe I have locked up second place for the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment