Thursday, June 2, 2011

BRCM Lunch - BB Bayside CDM PCH NPC San Joaq BB Jamboree

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89705827

It seemed pretty windy during lunch time, or maybe it was just me.  Despite, 8 guys came out to do today's 21 mile loop.  Dave joined us again, but this time he actually donned some road cycling clothing rather than his mountain bike stuff (an obvious Velominati rule violation).  His take wasn't so much to conform, however, as much as it was just to try to improve his aerodynamics to stay up with the group.  Good call.

While waiting at the corner, Hiroshi asked about the age of my kids, and upon Vin finding out he was the same age as my daughter stated that I could be his daddy.  For obvious reasons, my response was "I would not want to be your daddy."

Marc led us down California (yes, I said Marc) to start things off.  By the way, I do appreciate his interest in my health by checking on the status of my cold for the last couple days.  What a guy. 

Gary led on the bike trail, but we had to take a little detour before the bridge onto a street that connects onto Eastbluff due to some construction.  Gary was still leading as we got on Eastbluff, but since no one seemed interested in relieving him, I came from the back just before Back Bay and decided to get some work in.

Gary and I traded off through Back Bay, but at one point (and without any prompting), Vin steps up to take a turn too.  Nice.  Hiroshi took one as well, but he was tired (wink wink...I'll explain this later) from the 2 previous days of riding.  Gary and I kept the pace up for the most part though just to keep the rest of these guys honest. 

On Bayside and through CDM, Hiroshi did start up front from the light, but Gary and I kept the pace up after we caught him.  Just in case anyone wanted to attack the hill toward Ocean, I tested out the legs from my Nyes training on Monday and shot up ahead. 

Once we got on PCH, Hiroshi once again took a stab up at the front.  Since I had a good pace when catching him, I pulled the group to NPC where we regrouped at the left turn light.  After it turned green, I thought I'd give the hill a charge and see who comes with.  Although some of the others had dropped off, Hiroshi stuck to my rear wheel like bees on honey.  Admittedly, I did try to shake him off a couple times, but he wasn't going to have any of it.  Near the top after Pelican, I had gotten pretty worked and decided to spin up on the low gear and FINALLY shook him off, but I'm pretty sure you could see steam rising from my jersey where he was breathing down on for 95% of the hill.  Again, watch this guy...tired my ass.

We regrouped at the top and Gary led us out onto San Joaquin.  Just before the crest, I thought I'd turn the heat up again but got caught at a light.  When it turned green, Gary and I took off and hauled down toward McArthur getting caught at the light just before where everyone regrouped.

At this point, I was trying to see how much time I had left and was contemplating on turning right on Jamboree rather than follow the group to Back Bay.  I stayed in the back while Gary and others kept the pace up on San Joaquin to Jamboree.  At the light, I decided it wouldn't take that much longer and went with everyone instead. 

I did stay in the back while Gary, Steve, Marc and Vin took some turns up front.  Seon had broken away shortly after getting on Back Bay and while I contemplated the chase, it was nice to see the little peloton not sweat it much where Steve and Gary were able to reel him back in patiently.  Gary did turn up the heat on Back Bay reaching speeds in the 27+ mph range, but after a long pull and dropping down to 24, Marc took the helm but left Gary a little cooked after.  I was still watching to see who was going to attack the end, and Jaffe started to break away as we got close.  Hiroshi responded where it looked like he was making a move for the first to the top, so this was when I thought I'd give the hill sprint a try in case anyone 25 years old was interested too. 

I went on up Jamboree but Hiroshi met me at the left turn light and we went down Bison together.  I wasn't sure if he was going to sprint over the 73, and it looked like he was going to set up the 2nd light for a charge.  However, since his pace didn't pick up once the light turned green, I took off for a sprint but called out to him to come with.  Hiroshi actually picked up some good speed, but just couldn't hold it to the corner.   Nice effort.

~20 mph average not bad for this windy day.  Thanks for the training, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment