Tuesday, June 7, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Double BB Route with Multiple Lights

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90882037

The double Back Bay route is always interesting because it seems to bring about different strategies where you can almost hear everyone thinking about how they're going to set up for this ride.  One strategy that came to mind was whether I should fix Todd's flat rear tire before the ride by inflating it to only 60 PSI.  I just couldn't do it...not because it wasn't fair but because of my love for carbon wheels. 

Unusually, Gary did not lead us out today as he would typically, so even he had thought about how that may not be a good idea considering how loaded the ride was today.  Todd ended up leading us all the way out to NPC with not one person willing to take the front to help him.  Nice.

On NPC, Shannon led Vince and Todd out and I was about 2-3 people behind Adrian when I realized he had popped off from the guys up front.  I tried to get up to Todd's wheel and almost managed to do so by the 73 underpass, but they kicked it up a notch after and it was all I could do just to keep Shannon ahead of me. 

Shannon and I got caught at the light after turning on San Joaquin, and others were able to join us there with Vince and Todd out of sight.  Once the light turned green, Shannon turned the heat up going over the double crest and Adrian took the front as well to keep speeds up.  We did manage to catch up to Vince and Todd as they were caught on the light at Marguerite, and everyone else had pretty much caught up by that point as well. 

When we rolled up to McArthur, I thought the decision was to hit the left turn lane so I did with everyone except Vince and Todd who went straight across the intersection, subsequently crossing in front of us while we waited...and waited...and waited.  We decided to use the crosswalk vs. waiting for a car to trigger the left turn light, and wouldn't you know it...the left turn light turned green ahead of us being able to cross and start going again on McArthur.  I think I'll refrain from why 3 cars decided to honk at Jaffe at this intersection. 

Once we did get rolling again on McArthur, I think we hit every single light (maybe except 1) before making the right to Jamboree.  I was trying to keep the pace up on PCH to hopefully make ground on Vince and Todd, but this was probably not the most "strategic" thing to do on this route with the guys in the pack.

On the initial run through Back Bay, Adrian took off earlier than I expected and broke away with Shannon to take the sprint to San Joaquin.  I swung out a little late, but managed to pull Mitchell along to get back with Shannon and Adrian.  These guys kept hammering it on Back Bay, and while I wanted ot skip a turn, ended up ultimately blowing up after one of them where Shannon and Adrian broke off before we got to the top of Back Bay.  I did apologize to Mitchell since I snapped off taking him with me.

On Jamboree, Adrian was with Shannon for a bit during the climb, but Shannon broke away midway up the hill where we were only able to catch glimpses of him subsequently.  With Mitch in tow, we were able to reel Adrian in near the Bison light.  Adrian thought about going through the red to get away, but I yelled "stop for the light" to prevent him from being awarded a Sandy for a TLB.  I think he was swearing at me under his breath subsequently.

The 3 of us got caught at the light on Eastbluff where Seon and Vin were able to catch up to us here.  When it turned green, Vin took off and we weren't sure if he was intending to pull or just wanting to have his name mentioned on the blog (so there you go).  Adrian, Mitchell, Seon and I got by before we crossed San Joaquin, and we saw a glimpse of Shannon where we thought maybe we could reel him in. 

Once on Back Bay, we tried to coordinate working together but Adrian still isn't too keen on what this meant.  Once he got up front, he broke off from Mitchell and I had to work just to get back together with him after San Joaquin.  Mitch, Adrian and I did take turns at this point, and Adrian took this one monster pull (warning us this time) where he just worked me to keep up and subsequently take the next pull.  Of course, this set him up perfectly to take the top of Back Bay over me...again. 

On the bike trail, I decided I wasn't going to get played anymore or so I thought.  I let Adrian take the front all the way on University.  He was playing possom though, where he was soft pedaling after the bridge and for some time.  I didn't want to take off until he did, but when he did, he kept the pace up and I just couldn't get passed the front of his rear wheel as we passed CA.  Nice job!

Going up CA, Seon had caught up and started to charge up the hill.  It took a good portion of the hill to be able to catch and pass him, so this guy seems to be getting better and better each time.  I got caught at the light on Bison where Seon and ultimately Adrian was able to catch me.  I was hoping to give Adrian a chance to beat me up again, but he thought it better to risk today's sprint winning streak against me and didn't contest (cough, sissy, cough).  Just kidding.

Too bad we couldn't have been able to mix it up more with the others (more time to rest as well), but it was a great workout nonetheless.  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for changing the tube. It was a big help Rich!! I owe you.

    Vince is a slave driver. He kept kicking my arse whenever I slowed down. Stats attached.

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90899052

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for calling this play number Rich, definitely my favorite route around here.

    I thought Rich and I would work together up NPC, so backed off of Vince and Todd. Turns out we did not connect until a traffic light on San Joaq.

    Rough traffic today, we had to sit and watch as Vince and Todd rolled out of sight on PCH.

    Once on the BB Adrian got things moving, I don't think we were sprinting in the first zone, just hoping to make some time on the guys off the front. Plus, I think everyone prefers to cook it on the 2nd round.

    We were still up around 33mph heading towards the end, evidently that broke the group up a bit.

    Going across Jamboree I caught occasional glimpses of the front guys, but ended up hitting another light. At that point I could see a bunch of the guys had regrouped and were reeling me in. That meant a TT on the 2nd lap for me (managed some decent speeds due to the wind ~30mph, +26avg (vs 27.5 with the team earlier)).

    I thought Rich was behind going up the hill to East Bluff, but it must have been some other guy, which threw me off, as it looked like he was heading for Jamboree (up) too. Thinking Rich was behind me, I went as fast physically possible, and never saw anyone else (due to doing the wrong route, doh). Too delirious I suppose...

    Did anyone else think Todd was going to lead the entire time today? I'm sure that day is not too far off.

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries, Todd. Pay it forward.

    I'm in for the next ride where Todd leads the entire time. Big Bear? Sorry I couldn't help out more, Shannon. Nice that you took off when you thought I was coming up behind you on Eastbluff though. I see how it is. :)

    ReplyDelete