Tuesday, June 28, 2011

BRCM Lunch - NPC Pelican PCH Ocean and BB the Fast Way

Strava stats:  http://app.strava.com/rides/830316

Garmin Connect:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95521267

Finally, a good sized group came out again today with 10 of us out there.  I guess when Shannon sends an invite, people come out.  I see how it is.  HA HA. 

Hiroshi, Steve and Jaffe (I think) were the ones to lead us out on E. Peltason, but we got split up at a light on Anteater since Jaffe's chain dropped where Todd, Shannon and Verm got away from us.  I thought we'd have time to catch up to them before NPC, but they just caught the green light while the rest of us got stopped.  Good thing Shannon set a regroup point at the top of Pelican.  We didn't see them until then.

Going up NPC, Hiroshi took an initial charge up the hill, but Mitchell and I got by him before the 2nd light.  I don't know if it was just me, but the wind was beating me up pretty good.  Mitchell was behind me the whole time, and he seemed to feel the same way when we got to the top. 

At the regroup point on Pelican, we all took off together and Shannon led everyone down the hill.  Todd was going to jump up front on the uphill, but I had come from the 5th back to take a stab up front since this was one of my favorite rollers.  Todd eventually relieved me and led us down toward PCH. 

On PCH, the pace got a little intense heading toward CDM where after a pull, I was barely able to get back and stay in the draft.  Todd and Shannon kept the pace up and everyone honest until we got to Poppy for our little neighborhood detour.

Once we were getting back on PCH, we saw Hiroshi and Vin where I guess they took a detour.  We tried to give chase once the light turned green from Avocado, but they ended up turning right on Jamboree while we went straight toward Bayside.  Shannon wanted to do the full Back Bay and had also asked to do rotations on Back Bay (gate-to-gate) to see if we can take top honors on Strava. 

Verm led everyone to Back Bay originally at a good pace where Shannon (about 5th or 6th back) didn't feel the need to move up front right away.  I was behind him waiting as was Todd and Eddie. 

As we were nearing San Joaquin, Shannon turned the screws and the pace got extremely hot.  Eddie and Mitchell took some stabs up front after San Joaquin, but then the rotations trimmed down to just Shannon, Todd and me.  Everyone was still hanging on though, which was awesome considering we pushed to keep the pace up and for 2 miles reaching averages of 29+ and 30+.  There was one point I was trying to get by Shannon to take a pull, and I couldn't get around him for a while due to the pace.  Verm was sitting in the #4 spot letting the 3 of us work together, but jumped to the front for the final lead out.  As we were coming to the end of Back Bay, I went ahead and sprinted to the top to make sure we get top honors on Strava.  So guess what?  We did it:  http://app.strava.com/segments/629775.  28.7 mph average from gate-to-gate.  Damn, Gina!  Awesome team effort!

You'd think after this we'd take it easy and roll for the rest of the ride.  We still pushed the pace on the bike trail en route to CA.  Even on CA, we charged up the hill as best we could despite the wind.  Seon made the first attack, but I got by after a while with Steve in tow and just leaned into the headwind.  It wasn't the best time going up it, but good enough. 

Great workout today, gents!

1 comment:

  1. You may own that Strava segment for a while Rich! Exceptional work out there today, big props to Todd, Eddie, Verm and Mitch; bringing the fury for five minutes like that is no walk in the park.

    Early on Verm had such a pace going that I decided to ride it a bit, from fourth position (after trying to get around once).

    Then Eddie, on his burn master TT machine, came around and hit our high speed for the run at 31.9mph, right after San Joaquin (I don't know how he made the corner after).

    I had a good pace going, when Rich came by with authority, followed by Todd, I knew at that point if we wanted the record this was the time to go get it.

    We haven't ridden a pace like that before as a group, a circular rotation (pretty much) at +30mph, tight!

    I know the crit workouts have been helping me get through some plateaus, thanks to Vince for that!

    ReplyDelete