Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lunch Ride - BB San Joaquin Ridge Park and Back with Jamboree Finish

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93982085

Either cycling interest is waning or scheduling makes it difficult during this season, but on this first day of summer, only 4 of us showed up to get some training in today.  I figure either we make things more competitive, or I start talking more trash.  Both typically works in getting a reaction from this Type A team.

I'm glad Mitch, Vin and Eddie made it out today.   Eddie brought out his TT bike, so we opted for the BB route to take advantage of his wind cheating abilities.  We still achieved more almost 1.5K vertical despite this. 

Mitchell and I led us out first, but once we got on BB, Eddie and Vin got in the rotation and helped keep the pace up. 

On San Joaquin, we all pretty much stayed together until we got to about Spyglass.  There, my unspoken agenda was to bounce in and out of redline as much as possible and take no prisoners today, so I broke away after that road. 

I did hit the red light to turn left on Ridge Park where I thought the others would catch up to me.  When it turned green, I looked around and didn't see anyone, so I took off.  When I got near Vista, I turned around and didn't notice anyone behind me yet, so I took advantage and got some extra credit in. 

When I came back up to Vista, I still didn't see anyone, so I went ahead down the hill.  About halfway down, I see Mitchell near the bottom, and I was able to run into both him and Eddie at the Ridge Park light on NPC. 

When we made our way back onto San Joaquin, my unspoken agenda came into play again, but Mitchell and Eddie weren't having any of it.  They were on me like bees on honey where it was impossible to shake them off.  I tried again after we crossed McArthur, even sprinting at one point, and no luck...they had their game faces on. 

We did observe an attractive young lady who had been running roll her ankle at the stop light where Eddie retrieved her water bottle for her after she dropped it and started crying.  I would also have helped, but I was too busy gasping for air and trying to recoup for the return through Back Bay.  She ended up finally getting up and walking away, and as usual, Eddie didn't get her number. 

Eddie started things off on Back Bay with a pretty serious pull initially while on the aeros, and Mitchell took the 2nd pull keeping the pace in the 27s as well.  When I took the following pull, I kicked it up a couple notches, and Mitchell fell victim to my agenda.  Eddie, on the other hand, stayed with me and we took a couple turns where by the time we reached the small climb to the top, both of us were pretty blown out.  Once he stood, however, I opted to do the same and once again hit redline until I got to the top. 

I managed to get across the street ahead of Eddie, so I spun a little until Jamboree.  Once on the climb, I charged the hill with what I had left (not a lot), and kept pushing until the left turn to Bison.  I thought since the light turned yellow behind me, Eddie wasn't going to catch up anymore, but he ends up catching me on one of the lights before McArthur.  Just before the light, he hit a bump on the road that loosened up his handlebar, but he was still able to ride it back.  Even with it bent down slightly, I couldn't shake him off over the 73 overpass and up to California, so it looks like Ironman Eddie is back! 

Now what no one saw in the Bldg 6 locker room was how I was on the verge of throwing up from the ride.  I know it wasn't the puke route, but I had to sit for a while in order to keep from doing so.  I guess it was a good training day based on this.   Thanks, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment