Thursday, June 30, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Gary's Extended Hill Ride

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95926699

Okay, so the title of the ride is Gary's' extended ride, but I'll be the first to say I didn't do it all.  Thus, my GPS stats are minus the extra 1000 feet of climbing they did after I headed back to the locker room.  I had to get back for a meeting while the rest of the animals kept climbing. 

It started out with Gary leading 9 of us out pretty much all the way up to the top of NPC with a perfect pace.  No one wanted to get up front given the amount of climbing expected for the day.  The group strung out just a little heading up NPC, but a good portion of us made the left turn to Ridge Park together. 

On Ridge Park, I was a little surprised Todd and Shannon didn't begin the assault right away.  I think they either have been riding a lot the last couple days (be it on actual bike or virtually) and/or they did leg training this morning.   Since they didn't, I took the opportunity to go ahead and see if I can stand up for the length of the climb and see what that would feel like.  Once I did, Shannon got behind me to pace me up the hill...quite daunting I must say. I didn't know he was behind me right away, but when he encouraged me to keep going with one more bend, I knew I had to keep going.   Although I didn't make it to the top off the seat, I did keep pushing where it was enough to get me 2nd spot on Strava for that segment.  As Shannon could have passed me easily at any time, my position will be short-lived for sure.

At the top, we decided to head down Vista where we would end up at the bottom hitting the light.  Shortly after, Adrian rolled up behind us.  I hear he rode up with Todd where at the top, he told Todd we went straight for extra credit.  Yet, Adrian turned left at Vista and caught up to us.  Nice strategy. 

The 3 of us went down toward the first Pelican together with me at the front.  As we got closer to the top of the rise on Pelican, Adrian blew by me in the manner we're all accustomed to.  We chased him down where he didn't get too far away on the downhill.  On the first hill up, I tried to pass him, but he wasn't having it.  He kicked on the turbo and started charging up the hill and made it to the top of the first.  We got past him right after, but he got up front for one additional exchange. 

When we got on NPC after a light, we rode together for the most part.  I rode abreast with the 2 at first, but then it was just Shannon and me.  I didn't think the pace was too high, but it eventually wore on me where Shannon started to pull away.  It's such a helpless feeling to see him pedaling without any reduced cadence or intensity as he pulls away.  I tried pedaling both on and off the seat, and the only thing they helped with was not letting him get too far away. 

As we approached Vista for a climb, the thought of him having the KOM for that hill on Strava popped in my head.  Since he was well over 1 mph ahead of everyone else on the site, I figured my fate was sealed.  I did round the corner from NPC not too far behind him, and even got in front for just a little bit.  However, as I was trying to find a good gear to be in, I realized I was out of gears and Shannon again rode by me with that consistent intense cadence.   Maddening!

I think Shannon must have been either bored or saving some for the rest of his climbing, where near the top, I had closed on him some where we were able to ride down together on Ridge Park.  It was a good charge down, and although I wished I could have joined them for more climbing, I was mostly glad I had to get back. 

It was a great training ride despite the warm weather, and I expect more of the same tomorrow.  Thanks, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment