Wednesday, June 22, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Turtle Rock Starcrest Shady Summit Bonita Cyn Jamboree

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/94184592

I wasn't expecting anyone to come out today given no one chimed in on my broadcast soliciting a ride.  However, Noah, Jaffe, and Adrian came out today, as did Robert, so I was glad not to be alone.  So much for taking it easy though.  Peter and Jeremy were out there too, but they went and did their own thing.

Adrian and I led us out originally through E. Peltason, but somewhere in the middle of Anteater, Noah got up front and turned up the heat pretty quickly where only Adrian and I were able to hang on.  We ended up making the light on Bonita Canyon as a result, and you could hear Adrian swearing at Noah behind me.

On the downhill toward Campus, Adrian turned it on a bit but we were able to reel him in by the time we got to the bottom.  On Turtle Rock though, I guess he got a little overcooked, and just waved Noah and I by saying I guess I'll just meet you guys somewhere.

Noah and I traded spots heading toward Starcrest, but once we got on Starcrest, I was expecting him to snap me off pretty quickly.  Instead, he was trying a different tactic today where he'd sit on my wheel for a good portion of the climb letting me think I'm doing okay only to snap me off near the very top to keep me honest.  It worked and my humility remains intact. 

He did the same thing to me on Shady as well, and what's interesting to me is how it's almost like what happens as we crest the hill after Cooks on the Como Street ride.  In both cases, it's hard for me to defend.  Maybe I need to figure out better tactics too.

My calves were hinting that they were going to blow up during the climbs and even as we're riding through Shady.  Noah offered to let me off with a shorter route at the bottom of Shady, but I couldn't do it.  People would talk and it's not how we do it.  HA HA  Plus, I had to keep going to keep Adrian honest as well.  Adrian did end up catching us at the bottom of Shady on the left turn to Bonita, so I had to do the whole route.

On Summit, Noah decided to go ahead and lead this time, and I did my best to follow.  He had created a pretty sizable gap midway up, but I was able to close it somewhat near the top when it flattened out some near the gate.  Adrian had waved his goodbye early on in the hill again, so that was the last we saw him.

Noah and I traded pulls going through Bonita Canyon, but what he may not have known was that for the Jamboree hill (if a 2% grade half miler can even be called that), I hold the record on Strava for that section with a 23 mph average.  Thus, I intended to try to match or beat it today and took off sprinting once we got to the base.  My calves felt like they were going to blow up as we were climbing, but I had to keep going nonetheless.  In the end, I did break away from an unprepared Noah and managed a 22.1 average.  He warned me in the locker room after that he'll be ready next time.  Maybe we won't go up that hill anymore during lunch.

Great workout today when I wasn't expecting it.  Thanks to those who came out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment