Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Como Street and Extra Credit

Como stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93567294

Post Como hill trainer stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93567286

Since today was Father's day, it seemed to give a lot of guys the free pass to come out and ride this morning.  Verm, Gary and I got out this morning and saw Todd Blaser there too.  We also met Sol Sim, one of the guys Eddie knows who was just in front of Adrian during the crit a few weeks ago.  Sol actually came up to Gary and I as we were waiting on Bryan for the peloton.  Cool guy and I think he has the same bike as S-Works as Gary.

The best thing about this ride is that there is a warm up.  As the group was approaching, we started to roll where I thought we were just going to get swallowed up by the peloton immediately.  However, they actually never even rolled up on me until after we hit a light.  When we started rolling again, Todd rolled by to say hi and we were able to carry a conversation given the pace was fairly mellow. 

When we got to Irvine Boulevard from Jeffrey (where Verm was waiting) to hop on, the pace picked up some but it didn't kick up like it sometimes does probably do to a little drizzle falling near Alton.  Verm had made his way toward the front during the ride (as expected) and may even have taken a turn up front at some point.  Gary and I sat comfortably in the pack deciding it was too early to be up there.

When we made the left to El Toro, we did start making our way up on the pack but still probably 2/3 back.  The pace felt pretty good though and it seemed like there was less people to have to ride around to get in a good position for the climb past Cooks.  Once we got past Cooks, the ascent started to pick up some and I started pushing forward.  When I passed Verm, he exclaims "Get 'em, Rich!"  While somewhat motivating,  I also was hoping no one would make an example of me as a result.  HA HA.

As I started to climb, I was able to get by Sol and I'm not sure where Todd was at the time, but both of these guys got up and over with me to be in the lead pack.  There were a couple attempted breakaways from some on the ascent and slightly after, but they were both reeled back in by the peloton. 

Unlike prior rides, the front pack had a lot of riders in it this time.  This definitely made it easier to hop on.  There was a moment on the ascend others started to pass me, including the lady who gave me the idea to climb on the drops (I passed her back, by the way, so I'll keep my jersey thank you very much) , but it was easy to respond and just latch on.  Once the descent started, we were hauling!  Having my BMC with the standard crank really came in handy here and made the work to keep up feel less manic.  In fact, the only thing that kept me from pushing up front was  just because there was so many there. 

Eventually, I did get to charge toward the front and ended up getting in a paceline (not the most organized one though) but a paceline nonetheless.  After rolling off after Sol, I somehow got pulled in again as we were going towards Irvine Lake.  I didn't mind the extra work. 

A few guys decided to try and attack there, and at first, I thought we were getting close to dump hill where I didn't want to blow myself up beforehand.  I did eventually end up chasing them down and closing the gap for the others. 

On the climb up dump, it was still a good pace, but I didn't attack it like the last time.  I held a good pace and wanted to save it just in case someone decided to break off hard.  Some guys tried again, but there were too many guys there where no one got away.  I followed Sol down toward the 261 and as some people decided to push hard after going over the bridge and hitting the roller hill, I pushed too and got up toward the front just behind one other guy as we hit the light at Jamboree.

On Jamboree, people were already calling out that other people were going right away, and I couldn't tell if it was serious or just pretending.  Nevertheless, I kept an eye out to see who was going to attack. On the ascent, this was where a few people started to attack, and when one guy busted away, I chased him down and sat on his wheel where he finally let me pass.  I expected others to pass me before the crest, but they all pretty much stayed behind me until after the top. 

On the downhill, the attacks continued and everyone kept pushing it all the way to the light at Portola.  From there, the attacks continued and a full on sprint ensued again.  I was blocked in for a bit where I kept looking to get out and when I finally did, the chase was on.  I started hammering it after the others, and eventually made my way to the front.  I'm not sure if they ended up slowing down at some point, but I wasn't going to turn around and find out.  Todd eventually got beside me and we rode up front all the way to Irvine Boulevard, where I had to make a left to meet up with Gary and Steve again. 

Overall, it was a great ride and the average speed went up to 22.7 (from 22.4).  It definitely felt faster this time around.   Gary and Verm came in together shortly after and got to hold off 4 other guys who rolled up on them but never passed.  It sounds like they got a great workout also.

Although Verm had to get back, Gary and I decided to do my post Como hill trainer route that I did previously.  This included going up Aliso Creek, Highlands, Pac Islands, and NPC giving us over 3K vertical in 52 miles. 

We rode out on the bike trail off Bryan and immediately, Gary gets a flat in his front tire again.  Fortunately, we were able to get it replaced with no further incidents during the ride. 

We made our way to the Irvine bike trail that headed toward Laguna Canyon and jumped in a draft with 3 other guys for a big since we wanted to save some energy for the climbs.  When we did pass, however, I guess they didn't want to keep our pace and we were off on our own.  We made our way up the 133 and down taking turns and pushing a moderately good pace. 

On El Toro, Gary had some good rhythm where I didn't take the front until just before going up on Aliso Creek.  Once we started climbing, Gary and I rode side by side standing and pedaling trying to see who'd give up first.  We were both climbing for some time going up the hill, and I think we both popped at the same time.  Since i had dropped my gears just in time, I was able to pedal ahead with Gary not too far behind. 

On Highland, Gary made the right turn from Alicia ahead of me, but stopped to get some nutrition in at the bottom.  I only needed a gel, so I kept pedaling while sucking it down and once consumed, I began my off seat training again.  My goal was to keep a decent pace but stand all the way up.  I was doing pretty good and was able to climb without working too hard when all of a sudden, I see Gary's wheel next to me.  There goes the off the seat training...I just need to keep up.  When I started to ride beside him again, we were nearing the stop sign at the top when I heard him drop a couple gears seemingly preparing to attack.  My kung fu reflex was able to respond where I was able to sprint just ahead of him.  The S in S-Gary must stand for Sneaky.

We rode down towards Pac Island and upon turning right, I saw 4 guys in Sho-Air kits (one in white) ahead of me.  I thought I'd give them a chase, but as i started to near them, they were able to just keep me off of them.  I did pass one of their guys (in white), and was closing on the 3rd guy, but ran out of runway at the top.  The other 2 were just a little ahead and kept rolling. 

After Gary and I regrouped, we went on Laguna Canyon and started pushing the pace some.   We were eventually able to reel in the 4 guys that were ahead of us by the time we got close to  downtown Laguna Beach.  I was hoping to mix it up with them on PCH, but right after the light on the bottom where the 133 comes in, they opted to turn right toward a coffee shop. 

Gary started feeling a little better as we were going out of Laguna Beach, and led us out for a good distance.  We then took turns as we headed toward NPC.  We were working pretty hard at one point, and I did joke around and say "Back Bay?"  No bites. 

As we started up NPC, I had wanted to ride with S-Gary again, so we rode abreast as we were heading up.  Gary had a good pace, so I just matched it as we were climbing.  At one point though, his phone rings where he had to answer it so I went ahead on my own and met him at the top.  

When we got going down NPC and Bonita Canyon, Gary was a little tired, so the plan was that I'll just go ahead and keep us at a good pace (20ish) on the bike trail once we got on by the Back Bay opening.  I was pulling for a while holding a good speed, and Gary would still roll up to the front and offer pulls to keep our pace up when I guess we were dropping.  Since he still had game, I went ahead and started to match and up his pace to about 24 mph or so.  I also continued this pace and higher on Harvard on the way back to Bryan back in Irvine.  I was still trying to punish my legs from last Thursday's crit outing 

As we neared the shopping center where we parked, I hear S-Gary behind me getting ready to charge.  I started to charge too and kept asking him to blow up his legs (like I was mine), so he was going for it too.  To sprint at the end of today's ride is just what I would expect from S-Gary since he's got so much heart.  It's so good to be riding with him again.

Great way to start Father's Day.  Everything else is cake after.  Thanks, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment