Tuesday, August 16, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Triple BB Again

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/1261256

GC:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/107091899


Doing our triple Back Bay route is always tough.  It gets even tougher as everyone who comes out gets stronger and stronger.  That means more people to push the pace and/or more people to just push.  12 of us made it out for this ride today, and "punishing" would be an understatement for its description.

Vince started up front today like he was on a mission.  He almost broke away on California for crying out loud.  Thank goodness for traffic lights.  He continued to lead out for a while, but Gary and Adrian relieved him just as we were going around the Jamboree corner headed to Back Bay.

The odd thing was when Vince was trying to roll back in the pack after Gary and Adrian took the front, everyone else stayed behind Vince.  What's up with that?  Adrian and Gary had even gotten ahead quite a bit as they descended ahead of us, so Vince, Todd and I decided to turn the screws up to 1) close the gap and 2) push the pace.  Gary and Adrian jumped on as we passed, but to my surprise, so did a few others.  The wind was pretty tough, so that definitely impacted any breakaway attempts, but still....  Toward the end of Back Bay, Vin even got pushed up to the front and took a good pull.  Todd eventually finished it out and led us out to Jamboree.

Once on Jamboree, we turned the screws up again and this time, Adrian, Vince, Todd and I were able to break off and do the 2nd pass through Back Bay together.  We didn't let up any to see if we can sustain it, so we kept working where I felt my ticker was going to pop.  When we got near the gate, we still shot up together with Vince getting to the top first.

Vince and Todd didn't let up here and worked up Jamboree.  I couldn't recover as fast after Back Bay, so I fell off early in the ascent.  Adrian had already decided not to try and keep the pace after Back Bay and wished us good luck.

Vince and Todd definitely broke away after Jamboree, but I was able to see them after San Joaquin where I thought, if they checked up any (or waited...yeah, right), I may be able to do the last run with them.  However, the light after caught me so all I could do was watch them get on PCH and never see them again after.  The thought of taking a shortcut (BB drive) did cross my mind, but that's not BAM style, right?

I ended up doing the last pass solo all along wondering if the guys behind me would work together and reel me in.  Adrian mentioned he could see me and tried to recruit Vin to help do so, but they were never able to close the gap.

When I got to California, Joseph was there ahead of me, but he did his own variation of Back Bay today. It didn't take that long for Adrian, Vin, Jaffe and Seon to roll up behind me though, which was impressive given I was at a 22.2 mph average at that point.

Going up California, Adrian tried to encourage a Strava attempt, but I knew it wouldn't be possible.   I did start to gap a little bit from the bottom, but we all got caught at the first light. When I took off from that light, however, Seon and Jaffe still had some fight in them and climbed along side of me.  At one point, Seon seemed to be working his way past me, so I kicked it up a notch to shake him off.  When I looked back, however, Jaffe was on my rear wheel like we were connected at birth.  I yelled back "good job, Jaffe!" but am uncertain if he heard me.  Then I really took off.   The games we play, right?

Adrian tried to sneak by at the light, and of course, Vin couldn't resist poking at me saying Adrian's going to beat me to the gate.  I am so above that type of teasing at this point of my life...not.  I chased him down.  BAM!

Vince and Todd are always impressive, so nothing new there.  However, the strength of the rest of the group and the visible improvements week after week is even more impressive.  I know one of the younger guys (names withheld to protect the innocent...but his name rhymes with ANNOYIN') has an X marked on my back for some reason, but if it works to keep him and the rest pushing hard...more power to them.

Good ride, guys!  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. After Jamboree, Vince and I worked together in a two man TT style until we hit the climb coming out of the BB. He hit it hard and caught me off guard. He created a pretty good gap where even turning 300-400 watts on the bike path wasn't good enough to catch him. I could only maintain the distance. I guess I'll have to be content with making Vince work. Did a little extra work on California though.

    ReplyDelete