Tuesday, August 2, 2011

BRCM Lunch - Triple BB (or as Shannon puts it, triple bypass)

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/1065673


The next time I suggest the triple Back Bay route again, please remind me to punch myself in the nuts  instead.  It would be just as "fun" but the pain factor would be a lot less.

11 of us made it out on today's ride, and you can tell based on who came out it was going to be a good  one.  Since we figured this route would be good for some crit training, I think the plan for most of us  who race was to launch attacks here and there, defend them when possible, and watch Shannon.  The  latter was equally important on the last 2 trips through Back Bay.

Vince and Todd led us out originally all the way to Back Bay while the others remained content behind  them.  I was saving up for what I knew was going to be crazy, but I decided to join the rotation and  share in the "fun."  What some of the others who haven't ridden as long probably doesn't know is that  the front is where you get the most training bang for your buck.  It's tough with this group, but  throwing yourself out there and trying to recover after to re-join will help in your progress in my  opinion.

After some rotations, Vin seemed reluctant to give up Todd's wheel near the end of the first pass.  I  told him if he's not getting up front, he needs to let me in.  Like a trooper, he goes ahead and gets  up front all the way to the end of the first Back Bay pass.  What he probably didn't know is that Todd,  Vince and I conspired to launch an attack at the end when we expected everyone to be resting.  However,  there wasn't much of a sprint at the end, so when we did try and snap everyone off, the group hung on.   Nice!

I thought even the little kicker sprint to go up to PCH on Jamboree would break some off, but looking  back on PCH everyone was holding pretty steady behind us.  We tried to launch a couple more attacks  here and there, but it barely shook anyone off that I could see.  Adrian broke away for a bit on the  trailer park, but we didn't respond because we knew the group would catch him in a matter of time.  We  won't talk about the incident coming off of the bike trail at the trailer park though since that could  have not been good.

Once we got back on Back Bay, we held off an attack until we got past San Joaquin.  With Vince up  front, I came from about the 5th position and tried to get Vince to break away with me.  When I turned  around at the first sharp turn, I could still see a long train of guys in the draft.  Damn!  It was at  this point that Shannon decided to jump to the front, and I guess only THIS will string the guys out.  It's his super train pull that just becomes unbearable for some to hang onto.   We did do some  rotations, and at the end, I went ahead and sprinted to the top just edging out my Irish bud by a nose.  
Vince took the lead up Jamboree, and I got into a rhythm I thought I could hold where initially I was  able to get past him.  Then Todd passed me followed by Vince, and Shannon eventually got by too.   Fortunately, we were able to regroup at the light on Ford/Eastbluff or those guys may have gotten away.   Mitchell had jumped on behind me on Jamboree and Seon also caught up to the rest of us at the same  light.

As we made our way out toward PCH, there wasn't really any attacks going on although Todd seemingly  tried to break off a little as we got on the last hill.  However, we were able to reel him back in.

Once we got on the bike trail behind the trailer park, Vince launched a nice attack, and it took a  serious sprint just to get everyone back on his wheel. Todd eventually led us out of the trailer park,  but upon reaching the gates, I decided to bring the pace up again.  Vince took a turn after me  subsequently, but some time after the San Joaquin, the Shannon locomotive hit full stride.  Todd was  there to hang on, and Vince, Mitchell and I did the same as the only remaining in the front group.

Todd got up front eventually, and then I took the front and led the final stretch to the top of Back  Bay.  I tried to save a little for the sprint to the top, but it wasn't enough to fend Vince off who  got past me on this run.

We kept going after the top and it took a little bit before being able to get on Vince's wheel again.   Shannon and Todd also were nearby, but by the time we got under Jamboree, we were all together then.   Vince was either tired or soft pedaling in anticipation of the final sprint to CA.  I decided to lead  out the group and see if I can also defend the sprint from the front again.  We were still moving at a  pretty good clip, when I heard the sounds of someone getting ready to pass...it was Shannon!  I tried  to jump on his wheel to catch the draft, but he was moving where ultimately he took it to me on that  sprint.  Vince and Todd got blocked out (by me accidentally), so they didn't go for it just to keep it  safe.

Going up California, Todd led Vince and I up where we made it through the first light while the others  got caught behind.  Todd kept a good pace going up, so Vince and I stayed behind him for a good portion  of the climb.  Vince took the front near the top of the hill, and I jumped some time after to sprint  toward the light.  I didn't expect Vince had anything left, but he got up beside me and stuck out his  hand as we reach the light either to show he slightly nosed me out or to say stop since our light was  red.  Either way, it was a great way to finish off today's crit simulation training.

Thanks to everyone who came out today.  While no Strava segments were taken today, the 23 mph average  we hit by the time we were at the base of CA definitely made it intense.  Now I can't wait until  Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. Any one of you could have driven it like I did, you just like stirring it up more. Plus, I couldn't get it in gear for the life of me, finally Todd gave me a lead to the front.

    That's a good route, probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete