Sunday, August 28, 2011

Como Street 8-28-11

Woke up this morning with some pretty nasty lung congestion. I felt pretty guilty for wussing out on the Thursday Crit and wanted to go work the demons out on Como. My ride stats lately have been sub par and heart rate has been 10-12 BPM higher than usually. Not sure what is going on, but I knew Como was going to hurt.

Rolled into the plot early and did some warm ups around the shopping center. I make my way back to sbucks to wait for the start and notice that Manny Prado is joining us (fresh off a USA Ultra endurance MTB championship). They guy can't be over 130lbs and he is with 3 guy's of similar make up. I look at my Garmin and it is 87 in the shade. I try cough up some more junk out of my lungs and get ready for cardio pain. The ride starts and I hear a few riders mention that this is a big group. I can't confirm since this is my first time to start with the group. It felt like 40 plus riders. After ~4 mile warm up, it turned into a crit. I don't know why, but everyone was really trying to get up front. Funny thing was Manny and his crew was sitting back and watching happen like they knew it would be a waste of time. We finally get to El Toro and the pace is lifted, I notice Manny goes to the front with his pals. I follow them thinking "shit, if they break I just was to say I watched it". Well yes, they did break, and yes I did watch it. I looked at the guy's around at the front to suggest, "If you want to ride with them through the canyon, be my guest". Most of the guy's probably knew that the pro class of shoair was more than we could handle. 2 guy's broke off and tried to catch Manny's group of 4. We watched them catch Manny's group then sit up and roll right back to us. At this point we let them go and realized that we were now a peleton that needed a second break to make it fun for us "nonpros". The attacks started coming quick. I looked at my Garmin and my heart rate was no bueno. I was using way to much energy and not riding at the pace I should be at. A break formed and I jumped on in the hopes I could just sit back until I got yelled at. Unfortunately, the break did not work and was a waste of energy. Out of nowhere, a guy comes by drafting behind a motor scooter, everyone jumps on but the pace was so high we all go single file to hold his wheel. We are approaching dump and I notice the scooter group has formed a break and I can't get to it. I look as my heart rate and realize I should not have rode today. I am pegging 183 and my speed does not show it. I sit up and basically quit trying. Damn! This sucks! I let everyone roll by me and cruised back. At least the first half of the ride was fun. The second half was like sticking your head in the oven whilst some one flogged you in the crotch. One word to describe my ride today "FAIL".


No comments:

Post a Comment