Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wednesday Ride - Good Ride but with a Tragic Ending

Attendees:  Hiroshi, David and Jaffe

Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/1186906

It was a little windy today, so I think we spent a good 5 minutes discussing what route we were going to take.  Ultimately, we ended up doing a BB out in back plus the CW bike trail Laguna Canyon Shady route. 

Going out was tough as expected given the wind, but Hiroshi, David and Jaffe took turns with the pulls while I warmed up after being sick and off the last few days.  It was nice that they didn't give me crap sitting in the back while they rotated, but I finally gave in toward the end of Back Bay once the averages dropped from the heavy winds. 

Hiroshi tried to relieve going up Jamboree toward PCH, but I was feeling okay and didn't mind working the front.  We made our way through the bike trail by the trailer park and back onto BB drive.   Jaffe, Hiroshi and Dave led the first part of BB, but I took over before San Joaquin and led from there. 

At the top of BB, Hiroshi and Jaffe passed but I didn't see David.  When I got back up front before the bridge, David had made his way back onto the draft.  I didn't realize there was a Strava section from BB to Jeffrey, and I guess with the tailwind, I managed to get a silver with a 24 mph average.  Now if only the others worked with me....  :)

On the bike path after Jeffrey, Hiroshi led the other 2 while I replenished my fluids but I made my way back up to them after.  They stayed with me to Laguna Canyon but once we were going over the freeway, the pace up the rise was a little much and I broke away. 

I did see the guys on Quail Hill but once I started heading up Shady, I didn't see them for the rest of the ride.  I thought the pace may have been much given that I was at a 21.2 average by the time I got to Bonita Canyon.  However, I came to find out that they were heading up toward Shady when they all heard a thud behind them.

The thud was probably one of our worst nightmares...a car vs. cyclist on a guy who just passed them.  Steve, Jaffe and Hiroshi made their way back to assist and call 911 and from the sound of it, the guy didn't look good.  I don't think they have much more details than that, but they were all pretty shaken up having seen it. 

My well wishes go out to the cyclist, but selfishly, I'm glad it was not one of the guys who rode out with me today.  Maybe there is something to be said about safety in numbers, but don't kid yourselves...act like they never see you and ride accordingly. Be safe out there.

***Update - the cyclist din't make it:  http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/killed-29441-local-bicycling.html.  RIP Duane Parkison.

No comments:

Post a Comment