Thursday, November 15, 2012

BRCM Lunch - Triple Bypass Route

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/27891257

Attendees:  Shannon, Vince, Vin, John L. and Mitchell

Weather:  Overcast with not too much wind and a little cool (i.e. near perfect)

Good to see John L. come out and join us today, but he was wanting to do some hills and opted to find some after the first pass through Back Bay.  Good showing though.

While we did see Todd in the locker room, he was up for some solo TT training to prepare for this weekend's race.  Cool...one less aggro dude on the ride.  Galen and Adrian also let me know they weren't going to make it, but despite this, we pulled off my fastest average for this route...23.5 mph.  Not too shabby.

Then again, those of us who did come out were all working and rotating together for the first 2 passes through Back Bay.  That's not to say we weren't trying to drop anyone, because it wouldn't be a Broadcom ride otherwise, but that's what makes our lunch rides such a rush.

Vince was definitely up to his "tricks" of trying to stage breakaways, including solo ones, but this is why him coming out makes training that much more interesting.  I can recall 3 sections where he just stood up and started cranking away.  The first time, he came up from behind Shannon pulling at Shannon's pace and basically started to sprint ahead.   I was behind him where he asked me after why I didn't grab his wheel.  Since when do we sprint during pacelines?  HA HA...no thank you.  The 2nd breakaway was on the bike trail behind the trailer park.  He just tore off, but since Shannon didn't react, neither would I (given I was resting comfortably behind Shannon...haha).  Oh and the last one, I had taken a pull on Jamboree before Back Bay drive and was recovering but as I rounded the corner, he took off and was followed by Shannon and Vin where it looked like they were ALL trying to drop me.  I did manage to latch back on after sprinting ahead to do so, but I definitely had to recover a bit and didn't jump immediately into the paceline.  I ain't as dumb as I look.

Mitchell and Vin were also doing their share of rotations (wha?) today, which definitely helped out a lot.  Vin even came up behind Shannon, Vince and I at the top of Jamboree and re-joined us for the final pass through Back Bay.  He must have had a taro bun this morning.

With Shannon coming out regularly again, the pain train is definitely once again in full effect.  In the locker room after, he was saying how we were short a couple miles during the ride and it wasn't enough of a workout.  Vince tried to assure me that he was kidding, but I honestly don't think he was.  He scares me.  He did get to the gate first on the way out and the top of Back Bay first on the 2nd pass as well as mixed it up with Vince for the sprint to California (which I could have sworn Vince said last week was probably too dangerous to do...such a trickster) after having gotten up front all the way from the bridge.  These are examples of why he scares me.

As for me, I was also on Vince's wheel for the sprint to California and I did remember what he said about it last week.  When he took off first and then had Shannon chasing him, I slowed up enough to where I was able to make the light to cross and go up California ahead of the two.  I took full advantage of this and opted to stage my own breakaway.   I learned from the last time I tried this to not go too hard or as before when Todd caught me, Shannon and Vince working together would be able to do so also.  What's funny, however, is that they probably used the hill as an opportunity to cool down, but I didn't care.  I just wanted to get to something first today.  BAM!

Thanks for the training, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment