Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Noah's AZ IM Race Report


Drove out to Tempe early on Thursday to get registration done before the crowds arrived.  Managed to get in a 90-minute ride and 30-minute run on parts of the course that afternoon, then tried to relax that night.  Got in a short 30-minute ride the next day and finished as much of the logistics as possible – coming up with a nutrition plan (apparently I was supposed to do that in July), packing transition bags, etc.  You drop your bike & bags off on Saturday for these things, which is actually nice for procrastinators like me – it forces me to get everything put together early instead of the morning of the race.  I was sort of winging it on the nutrition plan, but figured I’d just eat all the gels I could shove in my face and see what happened from there.  I bought some shorts and jersey at the expo to wear during the race, so I guess I was winging it on that side of things too.  That’s probably something I should work on in the future…

Got down to the race site fairly early on Sunday.  Weather was looking great for the day – it’s the desert, so there’s always going to be some wind out there, but the temps were going to be in the upper 70’s, which is pretty nice.  Racing in the 90’s is pretty miserable.  The water temp was around 62/63, which was a lot better than when my friends did it last year, so I was pretty happy all around.  It’s a deep-water start, so you end up jumping off a dock into the lake about 20 minutes before the race starts so you can swim 200 yards under a bridge and then cram in tight with 2500 of your closest friends to wait for the canon.  I was in the front row for a while, but then more and more people were crowding in and swarming, and the kayaks were trying to keep us behind the start line so I was probably in the 3rd row when the race actually started.  Lots of incidental contact goes on in these swims.  I was apparently starting between 10 water polo players doing egg beater kicks.  It’s tough to sit in the water for 10 minutes with one hand treading water while the other is protecting your junk.  Got lots of kicks to the quads and calfs.  Wetsuits are buoyant folks – if we all just sit here and float, no one has to get kicked…  The other issue with these starts is that you’re basically shoulder to shoulder with everyone, and then when the canon goes off, everyone gets horizontal and starts kicking.  There’s really no way to avoid getting kicked by the row in front of you, but hey – that’s half the fun.

Besides getting mildly molested and taking a heel to the lip, there’s really nothing to report on the swim.  It lasts a long time, you have no indication of how much time has passed, you start to recognize wetsuits of people that you plan to punch in the face if you meet them in the transition tent – pretty normal stuff.  The exit of this is up a steep ladder and the lowest rung is about 6 inches below the water line, so it’s pretty tough to climb up.  There are volunteers to try to pull people up, but lots of guys were trying to get their legs up and would fall back in the water screaming “Cramp!!!”.  No real issues for me, so I was off through the transition tent and on to the bike.

It’s a 3-loop course of a gradual uphill which steepens a bit near the turn around, then you get a nice slight downhill all the way back.  Maybe five 90-degree corners in each direction so you could watch triathletes try to corner (note:  I’m not the worst one out there).  I’d been slacking on my training a bit over the last six weeks, so I was nervous about taking the bike too hard.  I really wanted to save it for the run so I wouldn’t struggle late.  Based on testing and previous training rides, I should have been okay keeping the watts in the 200-205 range for the day and still would have been able to run okay.  Yes, I know that sounds ridiculously low compared to LTJ and his 370W TT’s, and it is – but I have a decent aero position and tend to get a lot of speed for my tiny watts.  I wanted to take the first lap easy, so I was keeping the power around 190 watts.  I don’t look at speed when I ride, but I had a Garmin screen set up with the overall average so I could get a ballpark estimate after each lap.  I was in the top 12% or so of the swimmers (which just shows the sad state of triathlon swimming these days), so it wasn’t too crowded on the first lap.  By the time I was on the second, everyone else was on the bike so I had to dodge a lot more people.  After the first lap, I looked at my average speed and I was just over 22mph.  I had wanted to be in the high 21’s to get a low 5-hour split, so I was happy to see that it was going well.  Since I wasn’t putting out too many watts and had a speed I wanted, I decided to hold back for the rest of the bike to try to bank some energy for the run.  The next two laps were kind of a blur.  Ate a lot of gels, had the straw fall out of my front aero-bottle so I had to switch up the plan a bit, got completely soaked in all sorts of sports drink, snot and sweat, passed a lot of cheating drafters and more than a few crashed cyclists – again, pretty standard IM stuff.

Off the bike and onto the run.  My only goal for the race was to break 10 hours.  Throughout training, that goal seemed reasonable or ridiculous depending on the week.  When I started the run, I saw the clock leaving transition and knew I had to run around a 3:45 to make it.  Seemed possible, so I was in good spirits.  Tried to run the first lap conservatively, which is difficult in these things.  I wanted to sit at 8:30’s, but my Garmin kept showing low 7’s and high 6’s during the first mile, so I would actually start walking to slow down.  It’s amazing how whacked out your perception gets coming off the bike, but taking the first 6 miles easy is pretty crucial to not collapsing in a pile of tears around mile 22.  I finished the first lap right on pace, so I decided to do the next lap at the same effort.  I sped up for a few of the flatter miles to try to bank a few seconds, but really I just wanted to be stead and keep up with the nutrition.  Lots more gels – yummmm…  Started the 3rd lap and figured I would keep it steady for a while and then give it what I had left for the last 3 miles, after the final hill.  And that’s pretty much how it went.  Felt good, sped up late and finished strong.

Crossed the line at 9:57 and felt pretty awesome.  Felt much better than any previous IM – probably a combination of actually training and then racing conservatively.  Got a massage, ate a bunch of pizza, chatted with other finishers – felt great, when I wasn’t trying to walk.  I probably could have pushed the bike a bit more and maybe sped up the whole last lap instead of just the final three miles, but I was hitting my goal and there wasn’t much difference to me of a 9:51 vs a 9:57, so I’m happy with how it all went down.

Thanks for all the support & cheers.  Glad that’s over with…

Noah

No comments:

Post a Comment