Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Lunch Ride - Shady 133 PCH NPC Loop - Broken Spoke

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/28686993

Attendees:  Todd, Shannon, Vin, Mitchell and me

Weather:  Temperature was good but windy windy windy

We opted for a slightly longer route today just to get some extra work in just before the holiday weekend (at least that's why I did it), and I chose it as the opportunity to take out R5 on its maiden voyage.  Let me just say that it is NOT a good idea to use a lunch ride to get accustomed to a new bike geometry and position.  It was pretty immediate that I noticed my seat may have been set up a little too high, but I'd try and make the best of it nonetheless.

Shannon and Todd were pushing the pace immediately out of the gate, so I just hung on as best as I could but was definitely off the back on the last section of Anteater just before Bonita Canyon/Culver.  Hell, even Vin passed me before we got to the light.

Despite this, I did take front initially after the light turned green but LTJ got in front of me where I latched on and waited until closer to the top to resume taking the front again.  Shannon relieved me shortly after and he and Todd took turns leading us up to the top of Shady.  The cool part was we were all together as we crested and then made our way down to Quail Hill.

I rotated in with Todd and Shannon as we made our way to the 133, and Vin and Mitchell joined the rotation as we made our way up the hill.  This, however, led to Vin popping off, but Mitchell remained with us as we crested and made our way down the other side.  It was good that he did, because the wind just felt brutal even as we were descending.

When we got to the little shortcut that leads you onto PCH, LTJ and I duked it out to the top and he was able to nose me out.  I heard him coming and picked it up just as he was starting to pass, but I couldn't hold him off...plus, we were coming up to a stop sign so....  :)

Shannon made his way up to us as did Mitchell, and Shannon and Todd worked together to get us through Laguna Beach.  I may have jumped ahead once, but I was already feeling worked and started having Stagecoach flashbacks.  I did what I could when I could, but tried not to overexert before the NPC climb.

Shannon led us onto NPC, and Todd came around and broke away early on.  I had found a pretty good rhythm as well and managed to pass Shannon early, but as everyone knows, doing this is often temporary on a hill.  After a couple lights, he did work his way up to me, and although I tried to hang, I fell off a bit but still had a pretty decent pace.  I got up to Shannon and Todd not too much longer before they arrived at the top to regroup.  Once Mitchell arrived, we were off again.

Todd kicked the pace up early, but we were able to stay pretty close to him.  Shannon must have gotten tired of the space I left between me and Todd, so he got in between us and eventually took the front around the San Joaquin intersection.

He and Todd led the charge down the hill, but I took a few stabs up front to try and keep the pace up.  It was after going under the bridge and a stop light or two where I had been behind Todd when I heard a pop, clank, clank, clank....  At first I wasn't sure what happened, but as I slowed realized that I must have lost a spoke.  Stopping to inspect, I found the broken spoke on the front wheel.  Bummer.  Shannon and Mitchell had stopped as well, but Todd didn't hear and broke away solo for the rest of the ride back.

Now this is where it gets a little corny, but I'm going to write it anyway.  Shannon going back and picking me up, Mitchell staying with me until then, and Todd calling to check on me when he got back is such a big reason I like riding with this team.  I know on occasion we get wrapped up in competitiveness, which is what happens when most everyone who rides with us is an alpha male, but I think as a group we all genuinely care about each others welfare.  Okay, so it was only a busted spoke incident, but still.  Team BRCM for life, baby.

Thanks for the training and the support, gents!  Let's ride again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment