Monday, November 19, 2012

Todd's Santiago TT Race Report


It was another learning experience.   There were some really competitive guys out there with the full on TT rigs, speed suits etc.  I finished 3rd in Cat4/5 with only 18 seconds between me and first.  I would have finished second in my age group and I finished ahead of all Cat 3, but one guy.  I woke up at 4:00am and was amped up for the race.  I looked outside and saw that it was pretty wet.  Since it wasn't raining and the clouds were breaking up, I was all in for the race.  After training, I would have raced in a downpour if it was still going on.  The temp was pretty decent and once I got to R N R the sun started to shine periodically. Before checking in, I actually drove up to Cook's Corner to park and check out the turn coming out of the tunnel once more.  When I parked and started to unload my bike, a Sons of Anarchy dude asked me what I was doing.  I said I needed about 5 minutes to ride down to the tunnel to check it out for the race.  He said that was no "F" ing excuse and that my truck was going to be towed.  Keep in mind, the parking area was completely empty and Cooks wasn't even open yet.  I thanked him for his hospitality, told him that I will probably never be going there again (actually I have been there several times to eat, drink and listen to music),  packed up my bike and headed to check in.  Needless to say, I was a bit pissed off at this point.  I decided to use that for motivation along with the 3 cups of coffee and the natural adrenaline that I get from racing.    I cranked up the AC/DC("Spoilin' for a Fight" was one of the songs along with Hells Bells),  checked in and then went to the start.  I had about 20 minutes of up and down the bike path for a good warm up.  My start time was at 9:19 so after a bunch of warm up efforts I headed to the start.  The climb from the bike path to the peak was pretty brutal in TT mode.  It was a constant grind.  I caught the first guy ahead of me at Cooks.  I stayed mainly on the aero bars for all but a very short distance of the climb.   I started to weigh whether I should stay on the big ring or drop to the 39.  I decided to grind it on the big ring.  I caught the next rider at the peak of the climb and blew by her at the start of the descent.  Much of the rest of the ride was just trying to get enough oxygen and keep the speed up.  I had to pass several casual riders, but fortunately traffic was light and there was nothing to slow me down.  It felt like I was flying.  I went as hard as I could for the last mile and it took all that I had to not collapse at the finish. On the ride back I saw a guy sitting at the top on of the climb waiting.  I asked if he was ok and he said ya so I kept going.  My wife Pam talked to the guy to see if he needed a ride, but he was waiting for someone.  He said that he got a flat on the fast downhill and his bike took off into the oncoming traffic lane.  Fortunately, there were no cars coming.  He was bit shaken though.  Thank God he was ok!

Here are the results:



Overall I was pleased with the power output of 369 watts.  It was 10 more watts than the Great Park TT.  Even though I dropped my handle bars lower than the GP TT, I'm going to take Noah's advice and drop them all the way down next time.  Pam said I was up much higher than the other top guys.  Better aerodynamics may have made up those 18 secs.  I'm also looking forward to that speedsuit coming in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment