Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Lunch Ride - Bike Trail Laguna Cyn Shady Bonita Cyn Eastbluff CA Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/27115055

Attendees:  Vince, Vin, Galen, Paul and Jaffe

Weather:  Mild temperature, but heat and wind seemed more noticeable once we got to Laguna Canyon

Highlights:

  • Saw Shannon coming out of locker room in running clothes.  I asked him why he's not riding with us, but at my age, you tend to learn not to push for things that won't be pleasant.
  • Saw Todd at the end of the ride and told him likely, he would have gotten dropped today.  I hope he forgets this by the next ride.  If not, I was just kidding!
  • I heard Adrian made it out today as well after we left and ran into Vin/Jaffe.  meh
  • Pace was fast from the get go on the bike trail with Vince gapping early.  I slowly worked to close it, but Galen stepped up and got it done.
  • Vin took a pull at one point, but that just gave us enough time to rest where subsequently, Vince, Galen and I broke away. 
  • With a fast pace initially, I was just doing what I could to keep up.  If it weren't for the road crossings, I think I would have popped earlier.
  • On the bike trail after Jeffrey, I took a turn and worked to keep the pace up, but blew up just before we got to Laguna Canyon.  Thank goodness Galen got lost.
  • The three of us went up Laguna Canyon together with everyone taking strong pulls.  I think I was being overzealous considering the company, and going up Shady, I just couldn't hold their pace.  Vince and Galen duked it out, and Vince I think got to the top first.
  • I crested only to not see anyone so I made my way down Shady and through the gate where I saw the two making their way up toward Bonita Canyon.  I was fortunate to catch them both at the light.  Vince mentioned as I arrived how he thought I must have stopped to pick flowers.  Nice.
  • We rode together on Bonita Canyon and I gotta say, I don't like it when Galen passes me after I pull.  As Vince points out, it's Adrian like where it's tough to latch on.  I stood up on a full sprint right after a pull just to be able to do so.  Thanks?  HAHA
  • We sprinted to catch the light to cross McArthur, and then we rode through Eastbluff where I went into TT mode and towed the guys all the way to the Jamboree bike trail underpass.  
  • Galen took over after and kept the pace up getting us some good times to CA.  Vince went for a pass and the two duked it out to the light where they decided subsequently that it was probably not the safest thing to do.  
  • Going up CA, they said they would take it easy, but I thought I'd try to keep the pace up to a respectable level as we climbed.  I tried to pull back a little where I would have enough to respond, but both of them passed me before the final pitch near the top.  
Vince is definitely coming back to form making for great workouts once again.  Thanks, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment