Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Extended Pre-Turkey Lunch Ride

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/activities/28849115

Attendees:  Shannon and Todd (Adrian for partial)

Weather:  Nice and cool in the beginning, but winds picked up during the ride

It's been a while since I've ridden with the guys for a longer ride (more than our 20 mile lunch rides anyway), so I guess I forgot what it takes to get ready for such an event.  I've been doing solo rides for a few weeks now during the weekend, and despite the distance on those rides, it does nothing to prepare me for riding with the likes of Todd and Shannon.  I definitely wanted the training, especially before feasting tomorrow, but I didn't think it would bring me to the brink of death.  That's what I get for only bringing one water bottle (with water) and no food.  BIG mistake, Indy.

The pace in the beginning was pretty fast, but I think with Todd and Shannon being veteran distance riders, they knew not to go all out right away.  Thus, I've definitely been up to Portola faster than our pace today, but that doesn't mean we weren't working.  I think the 3 of us work really well together as a matter of fact, so we all did our share of the work throughout the ride.

When we got out to Jamboree, I was worried about not wanting to hinder the other guys' pace, so I did let them know to feel free to drop me if that happens.  Todd wanted us all to stay together though, so I wasn't getting out of it that easy. HA HA.

Todd was definitely helpful to set the pace up the hills, but I think when I took my turn going up Jamboree, I may have changed the pace a little and Shannon wasn't willing to expend that much energy right away.  Todd and I got away for a little bit, but regrouped as we went up into the canyon.  Todd helped set up the pace going up toward Dump as well, which was perfect for me, as I stayed behind him.  Shannon wanted to pull back some on the hills and was going to work to get back up to us on the downhill and flats.

When Todd and I crested, I took over but he alternated with me as we rode through the canyon.  After we passed Silverado, we saw Adrian heading the opposite way, and slowed down to let him come back around to ride with us.  We also spun up at this point to let Shannon regroup since it was pretty windy through the canyon so it must have been a bear to ride through it alone to try and catch Todd and I.

Once we got going, we had a paceline of 4 as we made our way past Modjeska and onto the climbs right before Cook.  Todd and Shannon got into a groove, and I thought I was going to fall off when they did, but I managed to find mine and worked my way to pass them before the first crest.  Well as expected, Todd wasn't going to have any of that, so he made his way past me as we hit the first crest. What he didn't realize, however, was that I was hoping he would so I could set him up for a pass on the last and final crest before the descent to Cooks.  Once I found the opportunity, I stood up and sprinted past him just after the short descent and kept going all the way to the top.  Oh man, you can tell after Bruce Banner, I mean Todd, passed me that he was starting to turn into the Hulk.  It's not that he's mad at me or anything, but more so at himself for not defending against that.

He passed after the top and led us down with Shannon and I behind him.  When we got near the bottom, my chain dropped (happens when I pedal backwards while in the biggest gear for some reason).  After stopping to fix it, this allowed for Adrian and a Sho-Air guy to catch up and pass us after we started rolling again.  With the Sho-Air guy ahead in the beginning, Adrian saw to it to sprint past him and all of us and try and break away.  I responded first to chase Adrian down with everyone in tow, and then passed to lead us toward and up Glenn Ranch.

When I rounded the corner, Adrian did pass me for a bit, but I made my way past him and started working to climb up the hill.  I was thinking the Sho-Air guy was coming to chase me down, so I was trying my best to hold him off only to realize that as we neared the top, it was actually Todd.  I was glad since I planned to try and stand up and mix it up some more if it was Sho-Air.

Given that Glenn Ranch was the last real hill for the ride, I started taking more opportunities to push the pace up front, which later I realized was the dumbest thing I could have done.  Had I pulled back some, I may have been able to finish strong at the end, but ultimately, I ended up bonking pretty bad as we got on Bonita Canyon and just after the 73 underpass.  I was already feeling starved while we were on Barranca, but I still took opportunities to get up front here and there.  Once I realized I was nearly about to pass out, I asked Todd and Shannon to rotate in front of me as I tried to hang on.  By the time we hit Prairie, I could barely focus in front of me.  Needless to say, the two took off and I pretty much soft pedaled the rest of the way back.

Shannon waited at the corner to make sure I got back okay, so it was nice of him to do so.  When I got into the gym, I pretty much just threw everything off me and made a beeline to the break room to get a much need Coca Cola.   I think I downed that thing in less than a minute.  Just what the doctor ordered.

What a great training ride, despite my pre-finish bonk.  I guess I'll have to plan the next one better.  Thanks for coming out, gents, and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment