Thursday, November 1, 2012

Lunch Ride - Halloween Powered BB NPC Loop

Strava:  http://app.strava.com/rides/26663352

Attendees:  Vince, Todd, Galen, Adrian, Jaffe, Mitchell and Vin

Weather:  Cool start with slight winds but everyone was warm by the end of Back Bay

Highlights:

  • Galen was already sandbagging in the locker room about a hacking cough.  No one bought it. 
  • I led down CA and onto the bike trail in the beginning (wha?) and then my wingman, Mitchell, took over (wha?) and I got to sit in the back to rest.
  • On Back Bay, being in the back was not a good idea as the group started hauling once they hit the descent.  
  • Jaffe was the first casualty and a couple of us had to come around and close the gap on the guys up front.  NO fun
  • The pace was solid on the first part of BB with everyone rotating up front.  We may have been able to have upped the average a little more, but some where hung out probably a little bit longer than ideal.
  • I took us past San Joaquin and then Galen and Todd came around with no one latched on.  I was just able to latch on where others had latched onto me subsequently keeping us all together to the end.  No one dared sprint to the end.  HA HA
  • Todd and I kept the pace up through trailer park and out to the other side, and we all caught the light going onto PCH.  
  • I led us up the rise on PCH, but Galen and Todd helped keep the pace up after all the way to Avocado. 
  • Adrian darted up that one sprinter hill to show off his fresh legs given he hadn't taken a pull since Back Bay.  LMAO!
  • We all were able to make the right turn to PCH headed toward NPC together without it being crazy for the guy in the back to keep up (me).  Vin was worried he may dropped, so he let me get ahead of him, but he was there the whole time as we all made our way to NPC. 
  • Going up NPC, Vince and Todd were up front but they didn't realize the route was to go on Pelican.  Those of us who knew called out to them, but they were well ahead of the light already by that time so they kept going.  
  • Another rider got to mix it up with them going up and created a nice little gap during the confusion.  Todd chased him down though and caught up to him by the 2nd Pelican.  
  • The rest of us went on Pelican and Galen and I eventually broke away from the others.  I got ahead of Galen and he jumped on and rode with me until about half way up the last climb.  He then pulled away for a bit but didn't get too far ahead.  I reeled him in and tried to sneak by, but he caught me and shot ahead just as I was starting to pass.  That was mean.  HAHA
  • We stayed together hoping to catch a glimpse of Todd or Vince, but we didn't do so until Bonita Canyon despite flying down NPC.
  • Galen led a lot on Bonita Canyon, and I jumped to the front just before the last rise.  When we saw  Vince, however, we went racing off to make the light to cross Bonita Canyon.  Galen had snapped me off as a result, but waited for me after.
  • Galen started to pull away on the descent just before the condo, but that always makes it fun to chase someone there.  He had a decent gap after rounding the turn, so it took until after the crest to be back on his rear wheel.  
  • We saw Vince at the light on McArthur, but there was no sprint in anyone for the ride toward Bison.  Cool.
Great training today, folks.  Glad it's over.  Now onto more Halloween candy....

No comments:

Post a Comment