Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Anteater San Miguel San Joaquin Ridge Vista NPC Bonita BB CA


Good turnout today with Adrian, Vince, Shannon, PV, Eddie, Jaffe, Marc, Seon, Todd, Gary, and me.   That's about as loaded as a ride can be.  You can almost feel the anxiety from the locker room when everyone was getting ready for the ride...or maybe it was just me.  We left thinking PV wasn't able to make it, but he caught us by E. Peltason.  Cool.  Good to see Seon coming out on a regular basis now too.

Winds were a little harsh today, but the ambient temperature was pretty cool even with the sun out.  There were some sections that were tough because of the wind, and Todd finally got to see what crosswinds feel like on a higher profile wheelset.  

Good pace going up through Anteater and Bonita Canyon.  Group was starting to get strung out here and there, but I think we all pretty much managed to regroup before the climb up San Miguel.  I'm glad Vince made it also given that he was almost taken out by a yellow car as he crossed to make the left on Prairie. 

Shannon led the way up San Miguel and held a pretty good pace causing some to start dropping off again.  Vince and/or Todd also got up front for some pulls and helped this as well.  Fortunately, we got caught at the light on San Joaquin and got to regroup here also. 

On San Joaquin, Vince and Shannon were the pace makers to the top and once we got on the long incline to the top, they started working their way toward Gary who somehow magically appeared...obviously causing the 3 to push even a little harder.  I was able to stay on Todd's wheel to the top, but once we hit the light, I had to catch my breath where the 3, who were joined by Gary, kept going. 

On Ridge, the 4 guys ahead made the light, and I just entered the intersection on the yellow.  Shannon, Vince and Todd stayed together on the way up.  Gary was in my view the whole time, but I was never able to close the gap.  Toward the middle of the hill, lo and behold PV coming out of nowhere to pass on the LEFT side of the road where he made his way in front of Gary somewhere near the top.  Can't hop on his wheel from the othe side.  Payback for last week I guess.  He's learning.

On Vista, the 3 front guys were nowhere to be seen as well as PV, and I just barely kept Gary in my sights.  At the bottom, he turned left though only for me to call him to tell him he's going the wrong way.  I waited and we hauled down NPC together hoping to catch a glimpse of the others.  Coming up on McArthur, we saw PV, Todd and Shannon waiting for us on Ford, and curiously, Vince and Adrian coming up from behind us.  Vince must have done extra credit.   Show off.

There was some confusion as to which way to go on Jamboree, but once sorted out, we were off toward San Joaquin.  I think Gary led the way initially, but Vince got up front and decided to stay up there and make a break once on Back Bay. 

PV led the chase initially and it was surprising that we seemed rather patient in closing the gap on Vince.  I suppose everyone expected it would just be a matter of time (as it was) but surprising nonetheless with this group of Type-A's. 

The pace was pretty fast as it was catching up to Vince, but once Adrian got up front, his sadism took over and he started bringing the pace up pretty substantially and as PV put it, had people "ejected out the back like a spicy taco after a trip to TJ."  Gary started to gap and it took a sprint pace just to hook onto Todd's wheel with Shannon behind me.  

Vince took over after Adrian and then Shannon took over basically obliterating everyone's power after.  I thought I'd fall off but then everyone else seem to disintegrate along with me.  I was actually surprised that Vince and Todd didn't take off on the way up to the top of Back Bay...even more surprising was passing Todd there.  

Of course, Vince didn't think that was enough punishment, so he took off creating a gap en route to CA.  He must have paid one of the guys who were riding abreast to totally block us, and increased the gap once parallel to Jamboree.  I gave chase with Todd in tow and was finally able to bridge the gap after the bridge, but I was tapped.  I got behind Vince and he swung out to not let me get in the draft or to have me pass, but I was too busy gasping for air, so I stayed on his wheel.   I knew he wanted to sprint, so I took a deep breath and gave it a shot.  In his words, however, he made me his son on that sprint and just blew me out the back.  I can still hear Todd laughing about it in the locker room.

On CA, PV led the charge up originally and I took over to try and kick it up a notch...what was I thinking?  Near the top, everyone passed me to where the only thing I think they forgot to do was spit on me as I blew up.  

I was hoping for some redemption on a sprint to the gate, but looking back, I don't think anyone cared at that point.  
Great workout today, gents.  I think I'm now starting to understand why Todd tells everyone he loves them.  Nah, that's just wrong.


1 comment:

  1. 36.4mph on BB, I knew it would be hot there, and Todd and I had planned to really let it rip. I can't take much credit for the speeds, all I had to do was about 10s at 850w, even a whimpy hill climber can do that! I have to give credit where it is due, the Richman lead out!! (It was a bit of a b*tch staying with you guys until that point I must say).

    Tough ride today. I had to use some mental skills to keep it together (all my mental skills).

    ReplyDelete