Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Shady Turtle Rock Starcrest Hillcrest Ridgeline Bike Trail Shady Bonita Cyn Jamboree

My GPS stats for this ride was messed up.    I only have the stats of going from the gym to the gate and then from the gate back.   Bummer.



Good turnout today with Mitchell, PV, Gary, Adrian, Eddie, Seon, Marc, Mike Z., Jaffe and me.   Vince and Shannon teased us with the possibility that they were coming out, but forgot some key essentials like shorts, etc.  I think there was a collective sigh of relief from the group after finding out these guys weren't coming out.  To quote Jaffe, this ride's going to be "easy" now that they're coming out, which he changed to "easier" subsequently.

Gary led the charge out toward Anteater, and PV took over to keep the pace up to Culver stringing the group out slightly.  Fortunately, we were able to regroup at the light.  I think my legs were already hurting there.

Adrian took a turn up front once headed up Shady with a great pace, and PV kept it up and ended up stringing the group out again with just me in tow.  Fortunately, they caught up after getting on Sunnyhill. 

PV and I were taking turns up front for a while on Turtle Rock, and Adrian took one toward the bottom.  After PV passed, I jumped on again and just held on going back up the other side toward Starcrest.  Once we got close to Starcrest, I could not see the rest of the crew behind us.

PV led up Starcrest and once the pitch increased, I took a stab at keeping the pace up while standing eventually passing PV.  On Hillcrest, PV passed me and all I could do was just hang on.  Once it pitched upward again, PV finally caved in and let me get ahead but he was just within reach as we got up to Summit Court.   We had to circle a few times to free up the built up lactic acid from the climb.   The others didn't read the directions and went up Starcrest, but it was nice to regroup at the top.

On Ridgeline, PV and Adrian were taking turns charging down the hill and I think I took a turn at one point.  PV got to the bottom first and got on the bike trail without letting up creating a gap on us.  Gary and Mitchell weren't too far behind, and Adrian and I were just a little behind them.  By the time we got up against the 405, Gary had been leading, but I took a turn up front to help close the gap on PV, who had broken away pretty good at that point.  Adrian came in afterwards, and we were able to reel PV in before getting to Sand Canyon.

Going up Shady, PV had a pretty good pace going up where Gary and Adrian started to drop off mid hill.  I was behind them with Mitch in tow, and we started charging to see if we can close the gap on PV.  Near the top, PV started to stand up, but I had a pretty good pace and was just barely able to squeak past him before the crest.  He caught me shortly after and towed me for a good portion of the downhill just until the one last hill.  I then jumped ahead and as we neared the gate offered to see if we wanted to regroup again (masking my true intention of wanting to rest).  PV chose to regroup at Bonita Canyon so off we went.

PV first led up the hill, but I got ahead again and just put my head down and started cranking.  I didn't realize PV wasn't behind me after a while, and I just kept going all the way to the bottom thinking these guys are going to regroup and chase me to the sprint point.  Oddly enough, that didn't happen, but the wind was crazy out there, so it was understandable.

We did regroup once back on Bonita Canyon and Gary and PV led the group out keeping the pace up again.  I took over at one point after the bridge and I think Adrian helped also after.  Everyone was still pretty much together at this point, although I think Mike Z. had dropped (the guy rode this morning as well, so this too is understandable).

We all got to McArthur to go to Ford, and immediately after the light turned green, PV, Adrian and Gary were already taking off toward Jamboree.  I decided to catch my breath and make a run to the top after rounding the corner from the back.  PV and Adrian broke away from the group going up but I felt a pretty decent rhythm after rounding where I was able to chase them down (or up) and reach the top first.  I tried to keep ahead of them (to rest) after getting on Bison but I got held up at the McArthur light where they caught me.

Once the light turned green, Gary started to sprint off with PV behind and Adrian also there.  PV then got up front with Adrian in tow and everyone was moving as we went over the bridge.  Jaffe and Marc were working hard here as well.  I finally jumped in front of these two before we went on California, and I watched Adrian to see if he was going to make a run to the gate.  Fortunately, a truck slowed him/us up as it crossed from Health Sciences, but once it moved, I jumped and took off for the gate.

After we got back, I guess PV didn't get a good enough workout and I think went running after.  Geez.

I had a pretty good day today, but it was nice to catch Adrian when he's stuffy, PV and Gary after a race weekend, and the others not really working together (as always).   I'm sure the ride dynamics will be different on Thursday, as it's always changing with this group depending on who comes out.

Good workout, gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment