Thursday, March 24, 2011

Portola and Back - Madness

GPS stats:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/74872984

Although S-Gary wasn't around for the fast lead out in the beginning, the plate could not have been loaded anymore than it was today with 13 of us out there.  While we didn't beat the time from the last outing, it was a race pace nonetheless.  Plus, the headwind on the way back and the water and people on the trail didn't help.  Mental note: do NOT breathe through your mouth if you're behind someone after a day of rain.

Maybe it was just me, but you could almost feel the tension again in the air knowing it was a Portola and back run...even in the locker room.  Everyone came out today and smashed it.  It was amazing to see that there were very little casualties (in the form of dropped riders) on this ride.   Even at the turn around point at the top, I think Vince and Todd were surprised that just about everyone was right there with them.

On the way out, we all did what we could to keep the pace up and by the time we reached Harvard, my Garmin was showing almost 25 mph average.  I think that was one of the fastest ever to that point...and Shannon hadn't even taken a pull yet!  That definitely made people think about how hard they wanted to push moving forward...I know I did.  PV, Todd, Vince, Adrian and I did a good portion of the work up to that point, but I hung back after I realized Shannon has yet to get up front.  Jaffe, I think, was the only one who dropped off for a bit at that point but caught us all at the light.  He was, however, definitely there with us the whole time on the way back. 

Shannon took the front on Harvard and led us out for a lot of the ways going toward Portola.  We did relieve him as needed, but I think no one was that eager given how loaded the group was.  Vince and Todd finished to the top as mentioned earlier and everyone was sync'd up this time knowing full well we weren't stopping for a break.

On the way down, it was fast but a little disorganized initially with people spread out across the trail.  Adrian had broken away for a little bit at one point, but got reeled in by the peloton eventually.  The pulls were still super strong and it was all I could do just to stay in the pack with everyone else.  I questioned if having taken a pull was the right thing to do, but luckily, I didn't end up getting dropped after.

I did, however, almost get taken out by Adrian on the sharp left turn heading to Harvard.  I called out water but ended up rolling through it and when I was setting up a turn from the outside, we made contact.  Yes, that was the loud screech everyone probably heard.  Adrian was able to save it on his side as did I although almost going wide on the turn.  I'll save the life flashing before my eyes story for another time.

On Harvard, it was non-stop fast and furious.  Mike Z. must have been feeling good as he was up front leading the group out after the light.  Noah decided to have a burst of speed through here too, and as I closed the gap, was surprised that his medal from Saturday didn't swing around and hit me in the eye.  He must have tucked it in his jersey.

Back on the bike trail, PV started us out on the bridge and after and then was relieved by others.  We must have looked insane on the way back with still all or most of us together and just going for it.  With all the water, pedestrians, etc., on the path, it is no wonder how we all managed to stay up as Verm mentioned.

Once on University, Mitchell took the lead and gapped for a little while the rest of us waited to see who else would break off.  I think I was expecting that no one would make a move until we passed the light after Campus, but the next thing you know, Eddie passed all of us with some serious authority and on the aeros.  I knew if I let him get too far, it would be hard to close, so I jumped shortly after.   He was moving though so it took a little bit just to get on his rear wheel.  Looking behind me, I saw Adrian coming too so strategically, I decided it would be better to contest after he passes than try to go by Eddie with him in tow.   When Adrian passed, I second guessed whether that was a good idea since he was really moving, but chased him down nonetheless.  Once I was able to close and finally reach his draft, I knew it was going to be good from there.  I swung out after and got momentum also where I started to pass.  If he kept going, it may have been close but the sprint from that far out was just too much and he ended up throwing in the towel.  Nice run though...son!  We were both in the 34+ and his Garmin says he actually probably peaked a couple ticks ahead, so the race was more about attrition than top speed.

On CA, Todd, Verm and Jaffe broke away at the light (red one...ha ha) but with Mike Z.'s help, Noah and I were able to reel Jaffe in toward the middle of the hill.  Good work, Mike!  Noah made the rest of the hill work, but all-in-all great training.

To the gate, I'll give this one to Adrian today.  I tried to contest, but he took off pretty quick and there was just not enough runway.  Good job!

Great work, everyone!   It's a good change up from the hills for sure.  I know there were some sketchy sections but glad everyone made it back in one piece.  Now I can't wait to see Noah's video.

1 comment:

  1. It is pretty demoralizing to be busting it out of the saddle for as long as physically possible, and then notice the entire pack in my back pocket, and of course to be passed be most every one of'em!

    Nice work gents!

    ReplyDelete