Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gary's 2011 Fontana Race Report


I had a lot of learning opportunities for this race. 

I knew the start was key, but thought I would have a chance to make up some time later in the course if I did not get a good jump at the beginning.  This turned out to be a big mistake.  There were guys bumping shoulders right at the start, and I wondered why they were being so aggressive to get position when I knew it opened up in a little bit, but I now know why.  Even though it opened up, it went into a ST quickly after so my chance of passing was removed.

On the first ST, I got stuck behind a few slower riders.  I was able to get around them when we hit the first road section.  I started making ground up on another group ahead of me, but just before the next ST section I was questioning if I should red line it and get in front of them before the ST.  I again thought that I would have time to make up this time, and again a big mistake.  The next section of ST killed my time and any chance of catching the lead group.

The rest of the race I passed riders were I could but did not have a good feeling about my chances of placing in the top since I had so much time to make up.  Also, it was not until the last lap that I got comfortable on the down sections.  I was slow on the first two laps which cost me a lot of time.

Overall I got a 5th place which was a little disappointing, but given how much I learned during the race I was happy with the overall day.  They have not posted results online yet so I cannot tell for sure yet, but I think I am still in 1st overall for the series.  The next race is this weekend and should be a good one for me.  I believe it is a lot of fire road  and about 500’ of climbing per lap.  We will most likely do two laps.

No comments:

Post a Comment